Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with a 98 Explorer!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with a 98 Explorer!
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 98 Explorer that just turned 70K on the ticker. Here within the past 3 months the "O/D off" (push button OD) light will start to flash off and on. Any ideas as to what it might be?

It's going in Weds. to have the tranny serviced, besides it may needing serviced anyone have any other ideas.

A sensor?
A short?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks [patriot]

--------------------
SOLD AS OF SEPT 19TH 2003

Posts: 1187 | From: Sunny SoCal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think that's ford's way of saying "I'm fucked" with auto trannies. Never seen a good outcome of that warning light. Hopefully it's not shifting funny on you already.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Overdrive is a common thing to have go out on an AOD. Has the car been slipping in overdrive?
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The tranny shifts just fine. No slipping, hardshifts, anything. It has me a little [Confused] Chilton's doesn't say anything either. Thanks for the feedback.

--------------------

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try resetting the computer by unhooking the battery for a 1/2 hr or so.

What motor do you have?

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by section525:
Try resetting the computer by unhooking the battery for a 1/2 hr or so.

What motor do you have?

4.0L SOHC

Do you post on explorer forum under the same name? If so I was just over there doing a search on this. Nice ride if it is you.

--------------------

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup.. thats me. [Big Grin] I'm a little more active there than I am here. But that'll change when I drop in my 331. [burnout]

Anyway, yeah, the OD light blinking on a 4.0 is never a good thing. Hopefully its something inexpensive wearing out that you caught soon enough to replace without major damage. But chances are unless you're a big tranny buff, you'll have to take it in.

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

That's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the input off to the shop it goes.

--------------------

shikeyseventy
¯
Member # 3187

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for shikeyseventy  Ford pictures for shikeyseventy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't know if its remotely similar to the exact same problem in a 97 ranger, but mine took a sh!t right after that happened to me. My tranny went out three times before I decided to junk it.
1st time got inspected and rebuilt, and was told that the slip yolk seal was my problem and was told that I waited too long to get it serviced. I lost all kinds of fluid out the back ou the tran.
2nd time, same prob, "caught it early" and just replaced the slip yolk and seal.
3rd time said forget it! obviously my problems were bigger.

Moral of the story, OD light was blinking all three times. Got it "fixed" each time. Never really got it fixed i guess.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com