Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Short shifters?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Short shifters?
jg95z28
¯
Member # 3175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jg95z28  Ford pictures for jg95z28  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My son and I have a 96 GT with the std. 5-spd shifter. He's asking me to get him a short shifter for it. I'm a Camaro guy (hense the screenname) and I've heard good things about the Pro 5.0 shifter. Is the Mustang version just as good? Is it a simple install my kid and I can do ourselves on the weekend?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
I have some cars

Posts: 41 | From: Lafayette, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like my pro5.0 a lot and would really say its one of the best brands that he could get... As for the install, yes its simple and fun!
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is an easy install that you both should be able to tackle. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to do. As far as the Pro 5.0 shifter, it's a good shifter. A lot of people like the Steeda...supposedly, it's the most comfortable one there is(because of where it puts the shift knob).

When you install the shifter, pay attention to the directions about setting the stops.

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

Cobra97
¯
Member # 2809

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra97  Ford pictures for Cobra97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love my Pro 5.0. Shifts are much shorter and its all but impossible to damage the shifting forks. I was always afraid that I was going to break something when shifting the sloppy, stock shifter hard, but I never think about it any more. As far as the install goes, two hours max. I think there are a set of install instructions on the yellow mustang registry website. IMO this should be the first mod done to a stang.
spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for spegull03  Ford pictures for spegull03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go Pro-5.0 and never look back! Great instructions on mustangworld.com, the included ones look like a 3 yearold drew them with a crayon lol. So much better than stock!!! [burnout]
FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORDNUT  Ford pictures for FORDNUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pro-50 [worship] [worship]
Posts: 650 | From: Elk Grove,CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'd vote for the steeda tri-ax...that's my opinion but either way changing out the stock piece is a good idea

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Either the Pro-5.0 or the Steeda Tri-Ax. They are both great shifters. I believe that Pro-5.0 now offers a set back shifter handle to bring the knob closer to you like the Tri-Ax.

I actually have the Pro-5.0 with the Tri-Ax handle. It's a great combination but I would probably be just as happy with the whole Tri-Ax.

Installation is a piece of cake. Just don't overtorque the bolts on the shifter to the tranny case. Also get a nice bead of RTV Blue around it to seal it up.

Sean.

Sean.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love the durability, shift action, and 2-3 shifting of the Pro-5.0s. I carry them in stock for the T5, T45, TR3650, and T56! With the CA Fords discount, they're only $179.96!
If you have any questions or would like to buy one, just call (408-562-1000), PM, or bill@apexmotorsports.com.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote for the Pro 5.O shifter. I bought mine used with 80,000 miles on it. Since then, I've put almost another 80,000 trouble free miles on it.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote for the Pro 5.O shifter. I bought mine used with 80,000 miles on it. Since then, I've put almost another 80,000 trouble free miles on it.
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heard nothing but good things about pro.50
jg95z28
¯
Member # 3175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jg95z28  Ford pictures for jg95z28  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the replies. BTW, how do I know which 5-speed I have? It's a 96 GT.

--------------------
I have some cars

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you find out what tranny you have we have pro 5.0 coming off our T45 (we're installing a TKO in our Cobra) for sale if your interested. Probably hasn't had more than 1,000 miles on it.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
96's and 97's came with a T45.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] Tri-ax. I couldnt be happier with mine.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
jg95z28
¯
Member # 3175

Thanks again.

The CD player on the Mach 460 sound system is also out, so I think he'll be fixing that first.

He needs to save some money up. He still owes me for the Valentine 1. [Smile]

--------------------
I have some cars

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jg95z28:

Now theres a father looking out for his son! [burnout]
jg95z28
¯
Member # 3175

quote:
Originally posted by PeNiNsula302:
quote:
Originally posted by jg95z28:

Now theres a father looking out for his son! [burnout]
After two tickets and a 30-day license suspension, it was worth it IMO. Besides, I hated having to drive him to school again.

I'm thinking of getting one for myself. While I was out "test driving" his car last week I was amazed at how many hits I got just driving around town!

--------------------
I have some cars

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com