Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Which heads are better for supercharger?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Which heads are better for supercharger?
90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90LX  Ford pictures for 90LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I Have the option of running a set of edelbrock 60329's or a set of AFR 165's. The edelbrocks were ported to a "stage II" by Reggie Jackson Motorsports. Also they ported and blended a performer manifold to match. Both sets of heads are 1.90's. If I go with the AFR's I want to run the new RPM II. I will be running a S-trim and either a e cam or a custom, depending on smog issues. What do you guys think is the the best combo? Thanks, sorry for the long post.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFS Hi-ports? oh wait that wasn't an option [Wink]

tough to compare without flow data

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90LX  Ford pictures for 90LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody have some more info? Opinions?
90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Anybody?
Blownhatch
¯
Member # 167

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blownhatch  Ford pictures for Blownhatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
out of the box TFS [Big Grin]
Posts: 427 | From: Protected Witness | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
93LX342
¯
Member # 1793

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93LX342  Ford pictures for 93LX342    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i gotta agree with blownhatch.it seems like all the faster blown street cars run twisted wedges. i would run like a afm b-3(or ed curtis custom),twisted wedge heads,performer rpm,and the s trim should get you well over 500rwhp if you wanna split the block.

[ August 05, 2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: 93lx342 ]

--------------------
06 f250 superduty with some mods.
95 f250
www.unlimitedracing.com

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
60329's.... is that a typo? What's the model name?
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90LX:
I Have the option of running a set of edelbrock 60329's or a set of AFR 165's. The edelbrocks were ported to a "stage II" by Reggie Jackson Motorsports. Also they ported and blended a performer manifold to match. Both sets of heads are 1.90's. If I go with the AFR's I want to run the new RPM II. I will be running a S-trim and either a e cam or a custom, depending on smog issues. What do you guys think is the the best combo? Thanks, sorry for the long post.

I would think those heads and matching intake would work well. All depends on price. The AFRs perform 'ok' but could use some work also.
90LX
¯
Member # 1487

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
60329's.... is that a typo? What's the model name?

Those are the 1.90 smog legal performers. That was the part # from the edelbrock web site.

[ August 06, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: 90LX ]

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for a street car afr 165s all the way

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

FMOS Racing
¯
Member # 306

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FMOS Racing  Ford pictures for FMOS Racing  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Really hard to argue with the Twisted Wedges on a blown 5.0. I do like the sound of the ported and matched combo, though.

--------------------
Later!
Jeff
'95 Lightning - 11s
'93 Lightning - 10s
'93 Probe GT - 14s
'03 IS300 - 15.0s

Posts: 32 | From: East Bay, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you buys these heads and intake from me?

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

90LX
¯
Member # 1487

quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
did you buys these heads and intake from me?

Yup, I never had them flowed though. It was to much money just for some #'s. i will just assume they are better then there were when they were stock. My roommate has some brand new AFR's he might not be using.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interesting well good luck with them

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As a general rule I would say that the head that flows best on the exhaust side, and not just peak flow but average flow, will work best on a forced induction car. The intake side has the benefit of having the air forced into the combustion chamber by the blower but the exhaust needs to flow well enough to get rid of it withot too much restriction. You need the flow numbers to know.

[ August 07, 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: John91coupe ]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90LX:

Why are these the only two choices you have? What are the price for each and is $$ an issue for you? What are you trying to achieve with the car?

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say get any 2.02 valve head.
Box stock TW heads or AFR185s would do nicely.....hell, a set of Vic Jr's would do quite well too.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
90LX
¯
Member # 1487

I bought the Edel's when I thaught I was doing a N/A combo but I couldnt help myself when the blower deal came around. So I already have the edel's and the matching intake. My roommate has the AFR's and might not use them so I can trade him if I want. I dont have any more funds for a third choice or it would be a set of heads with bigger valves. I would like to get 500 or so to the wheels. I will be running a Ed curtis cam too. I have seen some combos that reseamble what I am going to do and they are in that range.Thanks for the info

[ August 08, 2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: 90LX ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com