Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Pinging sucks what do I do??? Also another NOS question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pinging sucks what do I do??? Also another NOS question
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car pings when I step on it at around 3000rpm and I can't stand it. I know its taking away from performance and it sounds terrible. My fuel pressure is set at 42 w/ vacuum on. Other than that I'm having one hell of a time trying to figure it out. I was told to take the pvc valve out and put a breather in on the driver side valve cover and to plug the hole on the passenger side with a rubber gromet and that should help a little with the crankcase pressure and sucking oil through my pvc tube into the intake so I did that. Now what???

Also I have an e cam, gt-40, and alum. heads, rockers, 24's, and 190lph pump. what nos kit would be good and how much should I run???

Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
94-95 computers suck!...My car used to detonate at stock 10* timming!.....I corrected it with a Pro-M Optimizer...The Optimizer is adjustable and changes the MAF signal to make the air/fuel mixture leaner or richer...

Whats your timming at right now?...

I suggest getting a custom burnt chip...The chip will also take care of the 94-95 shift timming retard....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks, I'll look into the optimizer.
gt4me321
¯
Member # 3098

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt4me321  Ford pictures for gt4me321    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you sure it's pinging? I have a 94 that did the same thing and I took it to my friends shop. to have the pully's changed at this time I told him about the pinging. We found out it was the tennsion pully bearings was out and when I reved past 3000rpms it would hit against the block making the noise. he replaced it and now I don't hear it anymore.
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is your timing at?

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and retard the timing for this hot ass weather.

Also, are you running premium fuel yet?

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FWIW, my 94 hasn't ever had any kind of detination problems that weren't the fault of yours truely [Smile]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
FWIW, my 94 hasn't ever had any kind of detination problems that weren't the fault of yours truely [Smile]

lol, same here. i only detonated when i used to play with my timing with no light. i drove around with 20* base timing for a month.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

I always run Chevron supreme in the mustang. I need to probably retard the timing a little bit and then if it still does it look into the tension pully bearings. It pings whenever I step on it and its warm. It doesn't ping when the engines cold and I step on it. It doesn't always ping past 3K but it sure does when I hit it. I'll just have to play with it. Thanks for the info.
S-281
¯
Member # 2188

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S-281  Ford pictures for S-281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey hopdup95,

This is a long shot for you...but my 94 Cobra was ping really bad, when I got passed 3500 rpm and when going up hills. Once I changed my spark plug wires that took care of the problem , but then again my I had not changed the spark plug wire for about 5 years.

--------------------
The first 2000 Turbo Saleen

Posts: 32 | From: Northern Cali. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com