Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Vibration after installing gears.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Vibration after installing gears.
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so I had 2.73s and went to 3.73s, now in 5th geat at around 3000 rpms, my car gets a really stong vibration, you can feel it all the way up throught the shifter. I was told that its because the drive shaft is spinning so much faster then it ever has, which is true, and that it might need to be replaced or something. Anyone know what I should do?

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does it vibrate if you take the car out of gear?

what ever happened with your ignition switch problem? Made it to SD afterall?

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem...I replaced the driveshaft with an FMS aluminum one and all my problems went away.... [Big Grin]

You can get the stock driveshaft balanced for like $60, but then depending on how many miles are on the car you would probably want to get new u-joints too...I called around and found that it was only around $40-$50 more expensive for the whole new FMS drive shaft....

The FMS drive shaft was about 7lbs lighter too....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've read similar problems like this on the corral. One guy went crazy and replaced everyting single thing on his car until he had his gears REdone and finally fixed it. I'm betting it's your gears, who put them in?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for PumaFiveOh  Ford pictures for PumaFiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
9 out of 10 times it's the driveshaft, especially if it's happening after 3000 rpm's and on the freeway. The stock driveshaft is a rusty unbalanced POS and should be swapped out ASAP anyway. If you change it you will solve your problem.
If for some strange 1 out of 10 times reason it does not resolve the problem, then it could be your gears.

--------------------
"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!"

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-Patton

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like they may have been installed incorrectly.

--------------------
Support our troops!

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
Sounds like they may have been installed incorrectly.

[patriot] Sounds like it to me too. Who did the install?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my vote is for your drive shaft. did it ever vibrate before? Like at very high speeds? if so then it will vibrate at lower speeds because the drive shaft is 'moving' at a higher speed. besides like stated before,....nothing wrong with getting a fms aluminum d/s.

mine would vibrate like that at around 100 mph with stock gears. then i got 355's put in and now it vibrates like that at around 70 mph.

try going higher than 3000 rpms and see if it keeps doing it. mine will go away after about 80 mph. so for my situation it sounds more like the drive shaft,...who did your gear install?

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It "sounds" like they may have been installed incorrectly? [Confused]
I could see if he said that there was a loud clunk under hard acceleration, if there is a loud grinding noise...but no word of that.
KC- first thing I'd check are the U joints...are they new? If they are, are they greased properly? Secondly, I'd try indexing your driveshaft..unbolt it, rotate it 180* and re-install it. If that doesn't help, either get the driveshaft balanced, or a new FRPP one.
If none of this helps...take a look at the tailshaft of your T5...THEN question the gear install.
BTW, you did make sure all your lugnuts were tight, right?
[Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would think it is your drive shaft. Worst cast scenario, you buy one and it isn't the problem. NOW you have an aluminum driveshaft anyway.

I do think it is the driveshaft though.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im gonna vote for the gears not installed right but also i would do the shaft first cause its a lot easyier to do.and they are rusty peices
my .02

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well now that I think about it with the old 2.73s the car did start to vibrate at 3000 rpms in 5th gear...of course that was like 130+ mph lol. I am sure its the drive shaft I will try rotating it and if the problem is still there I will get a FMS one. Summit the best place to get it?.

Sawson- ignition switch, $13 problem fixed.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Something was installed incorrectly, weather it be the gears themselves or the drive shaft. Getting gears installed should in know way make your car vibrate more. All of my buddys all go to the same mechanic to have our gears installed and not once have any of us had vibration problems.

Your mechanic didn't do a good job.

--------------------
Support our troops!

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
Something was installed incorrectly, weather it be the gears themselves or the drive shaft. Getting gears installed should in know way make your car vibrate more. All of my buddys all go to the same mechanic to have our gears installed and not once have any of us had vibration problems.

Your mechanic didn't do a good job.

But the vibration was there at 3000+ rpms before...It was just never noticeable because I didn't drive 130mph, now its still there at 3000+ but with the gears its at 80mph... I would think thats not really my mechanic's fault...

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
916-372-4812 ask for jerry he can balance yor driveshaft [patriot]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Definately starting to sound like the driveshaft now. I'd dig through Jon's pile looking for another stock one.
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Definately starting to sound like the driveshaft now. I'd dig through Jon's pile looking for another stock one.

HAHAHAHA good idea, I will give him a call lol

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
[QB] Summit the best place to get it?.

I got my FMS D/S at Summit....I recieved it within 2 days....I also just got an E-mail off them for a 10% of merchandise code!...When you call them see if this code works for your 10% off!!!....

Summit dicount code: (N54103)

Here`s the fine print:
*The discount is only valid until August 7, 2003
*The discount is valid on every order you place by August 7, 2003
*The discount is NOT valid toward the purchase of gift cards
*You must use the code (N54103) when ordering to get your 10% off
*This discount can not be combined with other discounts or offers
*This is an exclusive offer for Summit email recipients

Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
67aquafastback
¯
Member # 3090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67aquafastback  Ford pictures for 67aquafastback    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take it to drive line service in west sac and have it rebalanced and install new u-joints. They do custom work and the quality is great

--------------------
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/dougs289/lst?.dir=/house&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Originally posted by 67aquafastback:
Take it to drive line service in west sac and have it rebalanced and install new u-joints. They do custom work and the quality is great

That sounds good, but if it cost more then like $75 wouldn't it be better to just buy the lighter aluminum one?

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
quote:
Originally posted by 67aquafastback:

That sounds good, but if it cost more then like $75 wouldn't it be better to just buy the lighter aluminum one?
Just buy a new FMS Aluminum driveshaft and see if it fixes the problem.

--------------------
Support our troops!

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the drive shaft. I have a fms one you can use to check it with.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the drive shaft. I have a fms one you can use to check it with.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com