Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What else to check?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What else to check?
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
S-trim, E-cam, stock GT-40 iron headed longblock with 70k well maintained miles (95 cobra). I bounced it off the 6k pill and now it misses bad. Plugs looked good, except #7, black. Replaced all plugs, cap, rotor, still misses. I'm gonna get new wires sat., but I think I holed a piston or busted rings. Ignition and fuel systems are up to the task (MSD6AL,Blaster, FMS wires,cold NGKs, 255intank,T-rex,42s no FMU adj fpr) and it was tuned by Byron 6 mos ago, 11.7-1 A/F, 17* total timing. At that time I didn't have the MSD on the car, so @ 5K rpm, it was blowing out the spark. Is there anything else I should check before tearing it down? Pissed. Thanks -Rob
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not sure what it is, but if you think you've holed a piston or blown a HG then I'd have a leakdown test done before pulling anything apart. You can get a lot of valuable info from a leakdown test. Might start there. 93Pony can do it for you. PM him.
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a simular problem to you on my 89 check the oxygen sensors. I hit my rev limiter hard and the car started missing and it finally turned out to be the oxygen sensors. After you change the 02s drive the car around 10 minutes and the miss should go away. Have you checked the compression???

[ July 19, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: BOUNTY HUNTER VERT ]

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the replies, I'll do a compression test today, and go from there.
67aquafastback
¯
Member # 3090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67aquafastback  Ford pictures for 67aquafastback    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats a good starting point compression test first. If it fails the compression test then a leak down test would not hurt to help pin point source Valves, headgasket or faulty rings or piston need any help let me know I have the testers Doug

--------------------
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/dougs289/lst?.dir=/house&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call me I can help 916-395-6747

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

#7 was 0 psi. F@#K! I'll be pulling the head soon, and hopefully its valve/valvetrian issue and not piston. Keep you guys posted though. 331 maybe?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com