Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » got a ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: got a ?
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I noticed my engine sounding like it was missing, pulled the valve covers and found that the #1 rocker arm on the passenger side is loose enough that I can wiggle it around. The bolt that holds the rocker arm in place is still tight but the rod is movable as well. Are the stock rocker arms one piece or two? I know that being able to move the rocker arm is bad, I just don't know HOW bad. I'm guessing either a dished lifter or a flat lobe on the cam. thanks in advance! [patriot]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red95PonyGirl  Ford pictures for Red95PonyGirl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't try to do n e thing yourself, i would segguest going into a mechanic ASAP!! that sounds scary! [Frown]

--------------------
http://photos.yahoo.com/red95ponygirl

Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red95PonyGirl  Ford pictures for Red95PonyGirl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rocker arms are 2 pieces I believe

--------------------

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you try tightening it more?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Red95PonyGirl:
I wouldn't try to do n e thing yourself

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

HEY MAN!!! better safe than sorry right?

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah take it to a mechanic and have them bend you over and rape you in labor and parts.

Fix it yourself.

[ July 14, 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0Jeep ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoostangGT  Ford pictures for MoostangGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Might have a problem with your lifer or push rods.. I would take off the rocker and inspect the rod, if it looks ok, try doing a TEMP swap with another cylinder and see if you are able to tighten to so it does not move, if it still does it is probably your lifter.
I wouldn't bother taking it to a mechanic, cause the first thing they will do is rip that engine apart and replace all your lifers, rods, and rockers cause they know they will get away with it.

--------------------
Sabrina aka The chick in the cow print pants.

Posts: 106 | From: Redding, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u need a new set of rocker arms from PAW for like 10 bucks just ask for the stock set and they hook u up.

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rockers when at BDC can be wiggled by hand.

translation: not enough data to determine if there's a problem.

[ July 15, 2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry red95 but i can't afford to take it anywhere just yet, so i'm gonna try this myself. Moostang, how easy is it to take off the rocker arms? can i just remove the bolt in the middle or do I have to take the head off? I would like to avoid that for now if i can. shade-tree, If it's just that one rocker arm that is loose and the rest of them are tight, that doesn't feel normal. The bolt in the middle of the rocker is still tight.

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Its easy to pull them off. No need to pull the head. Just undo the bolt. Try turning the motor a bit, and see if its still lose. You can tighten the bolt down more to fix that. Im sure 5kshade knows of the best sequence to get em all tightened correctly; I don't know shit about pushrod motors. It goes *something* like this- turn the motor until that cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke and tighten the rockers so the pushrods touch the lifter and tighten it 1/4 turn.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
should I hand-crank the engine using a wrench on the crank nut? ALso, how do I know when the #1 cylinder is at top dead center?

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"

MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoostangGT  Ford pictures for MoostangGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but pull the spark plug for #1 cylinder, see if you can see it coming close to the top, when it is close at this point you can look at your timing at it should be near TDC, align it exactly with tdc and you should be there.

Also you can hand crank it.. just make sure the car is in neutral when you do.. otherwise you will get one hell of a workout.

--------------------

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

thanks sabrina, ill keep ya posted, wish me luck!
-drew

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"

MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

BTW if you were to look at your rotor it should point to number one at that time...

Also, are you in Chico?

--------------------

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Stick your finger in the spark plug hole and crank it. Watch the rocker arms. When you feel it blow your finger out, thats the compression. Then when that rocker goes up again its the exhaust. Then next time it starts to go up thats the beginnning of the compression stroke.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

thanks Blown Mystic for the instructions, i turned the crank and every rocker arm except the loose one moved. something tells me thats a bad sign. im gonna try to remove the rocker arm tomorrow and see if i can see anything. sorry sabrina, im in the bay area until the middle of august then im coming back.

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"

MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

If you were in chico I would say bring it over...
When cranked the engine.. did you atleast see the push rod move?

--------------------

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

nope, the loose rocker didn't budge. thats why im hoping its a lifter problem and nothing more serious! btw-do you come down to chico often?

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"

MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Just drive through chico thats about all, but redding isn't that far. Did the push rod move at all? Was thinking about it last night talkin with my b/f, if the pushrod is not moving it might be more than just the lifter, you could have cam problems, but I am crossing my fingers and hoping for something simple like a bent push rod.

--------------------

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

i checked again and the rocker is moving but it is still loose. my boy brought up the issue of a flattened lobe on my cam, but all i can say is that if it is a flat cam...here comes an f-cam!(gotta look at the bright side of things!)

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Its probably the lifter that needs to be replaced.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

i don't want to replace them with a sotck set...would it be cheaper to replace the busted one and then at a later time when i build this engine up in about a month buy a set of aftermarket ones, or should I buy a set of performance ones now? also...who makes a good set of lifters?

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com