Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Prob with high mileage '94 5.0 (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Prob with high mileage '94 5.0
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, nice board you have here!

I recently bought a auto '94 gt with 114000 miles on it (it was really the only one in my price range) and when I tested it out everything sounded fine. The previous owner did tell me that it consumes a little bit of oil, but nothing bad.

Well, now when I drive it out on the highway or around town, and I depress the go pedal, at about 3500-4000 rpm I get this loud clacking sound. It doesn't make the sound if I take it out of gear, and rev it real high in neutral tho... It seems to only happen when the engine is warm, also.

I had a friend check my timing, and its right at 12, I changed the spark plugs, and the old ones were the wrong kind (too short), and I use 76's 91 octane.

Thanks in advance for any help/ suggestions. [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Exhaust leak [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, I didnt mention this tho.. the drivers side Mac muffler had a 3 inch (almost circular) hole in it that I patched using one of those kits you can buy at Kragen, which seemed to help. (and Im saving up for an offroad x-pipe)

Why did you suggest the exhaust? Im an electrician, and am dying to learn all i can about autos!

thx!

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you said your revved it in neutral and it didn't make that sound I ruled out the engine, and the exhaust just jumped out at me. Those kits help, but don't fix. Try starting there and get a new muffler on there.

Goodluck

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, ill do that, but why the xhaust?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
exhuast will make a ticking noise if it has a leak in it. Sometimes it will only do it underload (in gear) and sometimes it won't. My Bros bronco has hella exhuast leaks and sounds like its running straight headers when its in park but when he shifts into gear it gets really quiet.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

hmmmmm, it makes the noise when the engine is warm tho, wouldnt it make it all the time with the exhaust? it wtill has the stock headers, cats, and from from there it has Mac mufflers.
thx!

[ July 13, 2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think I just need to take a ride in it... [Whoo Whooooo!]

Stop by this afternoon, we'll take it out and figure out what's up with it.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

allright man, if its not toomuch of a problem! I really appreciate it!!

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the record, 114K miles isn't considered high milage for a 5.O. I think the vast majority of 5.O's here have well over 100K miles on them and I don't remember the last time I read a "My 5.O pooped on me" post.
Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red95PonyGirl  Ford pictures for Red95PonyGirl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just thinking the same thing, but you will want to find out what the "clacking" is. [Smile]

--------------------
http://photos.yahoo.com/red95ponygirl

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be detonation, try cleaning the maf sensor element

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

well, i did pull that out, and the 2 (i hope thats right for stock) fine threads of what appears to be copper wire are intact and looked clean...
Im gonna try some octane booster, and hopefully that will help out some!
thanks to all for your help!

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
well, i did pull that out, and the 2 (i hope thats right for stock) fine threads of what appears to be copper wire are intact and looked clean...
Im gonna try some octane booster, and hopefully that will help out some!
thanks to all for your help!

Octane boosters are worthless, they don't work for shit, please don't waste your money [patriot]

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

why do you say that?
besides, in higher-mileage engines that havent seen alot of WOT, ive read that carbon build up is a big issue... and thats what I might have.

and as far as the exhaust, i would like to get somthing in the side exhaust dept... and suggetions?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
why do you say that?
besides, in higher-mileage engines that havent seen alot of WOT, ive read that carbon build up is a big issue... and thats what I might have.

and as far as the exhaust, i would like to get somthing in the side exhaust dept... and suggetions?

I say that because I made the mistake of buying that expensive shit thinking the "7 octane point boost" would give me 98 octane only to find out it truly only boosts it .7, making it 91.7 octane [Roll Eyes] Not to mention it did not stop my pinging problem. So that is why I say they don't work. [patriot]

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

hmmm, i guess ill have to check it out a bit closer then eh?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Skip the octane boosters they are a waste of your hard earned money.

If your worried about carbon build up go with a good fuel system cleaner/treatment and/or injector cleaner.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:

[patriot]

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

hmmm, ok. how long should I run drive it until I notice a change?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

EXHAUST [Big Grin]

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

why do you think it would be exhaust? Im interested in hearing why! Im looking at something in the side exhaust dept... (cats or no cats, headers to all the way back)

Mainly, it does it when ive been driving for a bit and when the temp of the engine is up to about the middle of the "normal" gauge.
it only happens when I floor it, but not if i have the pedal about 3/4 of the way down! [Frown]

[ July 15, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where at in the car is it making the noise? Under the hood? Under the car? If it is under the hood, it sounds as if you have a burnt gasket or possibly a cracked exhaust manifold. That just happened on my aunt's honda. They are made of cast iron and can crack. The reason it is doing it when you floor it is because the exhaust is being forced out of the motor faster and will look for the easiest path to escape out of. Mufflers and cats offer a lot of restriction and it would be easier to just escape out a crack or gasket, right? At partial throttle, your car isn't under a demanding load.

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:

If your worried about carbon build up go with a good fuel system cleaner/treatment and/or injector cleaner.

[patriot]

I use the STP brand Fuel system Cleaner and it really work! I usually get a putter at high RPM's but after the treatment -no mo putter- [Big Grin]
wait till your gas is totally empty, then fill up with cleaner.

Oh, I would also check for any exhaust leaks and go from there.

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

damn, I hope its not a blown head gasket! I had a friend look at it, and he didnt think it was that!
I will do a good leak check on the exhaust parts, as it might be from the right header (its from under the hood, on the passenger side)!
thx guys!

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com