Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » some dyno #'s and a nitrous problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: some dyno #'s and a nitrous problem
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went to atp and dyno'd 274hp and 308tq. for my last run i used my 75 shot and it only gave me 20hp across the whole rpm range. my torque shot up by 100 when it first hit then went to 50 and lowered as the rpm's rose.
its an NX kit with no bottle heater, but i had 900psi and a full bottle. the a/f ratio was a little over 13:1 then dropped to 11 after 3.5k rpms. jet sizes are what NX specifies. any ideas from the nitrous guys? [patriot]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you uh.... got the nozzle pointed in the right direction? [Big Grin]

edit: so it made 254 rwhp on motor alone?

[ July 08, 2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's your base timing at?
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
274 was on motor and stock heads with a little home porting [Smile]
timing was at 12 then i put it at 10 for the nitrous. i'm working on putting the graph up

here's the graph
http://www.geocities.com/jonnyefk/dyno.jpg

[ July 08, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: HungryHippo ]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u had a problem with ur nitrous solenoid sticken right, maybe for some reason it wouldnt open all the way this time, maybe clogged with shit, and u would have know if it was detonating, if it turns out bein a solenoid just guve me a call and i can hook u up on a new one for cheap

and if u get real stumped, try NX, they have a toll free help line, it couldnt hurt to try it
1 888 463 2781, just ask for tech assitance, the receptionist isnt to much help and she like to talk

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Excellent power output for stock heads!

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GREAT NUMBERS!!!!... [patriot]

So, a Crane2031 and a home port job were worth 20rwhp more than my set up?!!!........ [worship]

It seems kinda funny how your A/F changes to 11:1 after 3,500rpm... [Confused] ...Are you running a wet or a dry kit?...How many miles are on your O2's?....

[ July 09, 2003, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe you had the 50-shot jets in place?
maybe you have the fuel and nitrous jets mixed up.
without a heater the pressure of the nitrous in the cylinder is dependant on temperature. without a heater the tank gets colder and colder during the process of releasing the n2o. the lower the pressure, the less n2o is released, the less power you make. especially affected would be the a:f ratio (n2o:fuel), dropping the power output dramatically.

900 psi is kind of low as i recall. i would run 1200 psi for optimum results when i was on the juice.

hope this helps.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

the graph should work now, you just need to cut and paste.
the cam was also degreed by 93pony [Big Grin]
eric- the solenoid seems ok cause i shot some n20 through it to check it
black94(rob)- its a wet kit and it only went rich on the nitrous. my n/a pull had a nice a/f curve.
rob- i think the psi is mostlikely the problem, i just didnt think it would make that big of a difference. time to buy a warmer

thanks for the replies everyone

[ July 09, 2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: HungryHippo ]

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i can lso hook u up on a new warmer, just let me know

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

thanks eric, but i just sent my money out for a used NOS warmer
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your timing was at 12 on the motor and 10 on a puny little 75 shot? I run 18 degrees of timing on the motor and 10 on a 200 shot and a bottle pressure of 1100 psi

Sounds like you had a good shot when you first hit it, but the bottle pressure dropped or like was mentioned, the nitrous solenoid is plugged.

Good numbers on the motor !!!

Brian

[ July 09, 2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice #'s jonny have you decided to get heads for it?

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I take it your nitrous is coming on at 3500rpm? The A/F is good then it went way fat. Thats why you had less power. Check the jets again, and if they are correct, larger jet in nitrous, then you have a bottle pressure problem. 800psi to 1050psi is huge in a nitrous tuneup. IF you have any technical questions, feel free to give me a call. I can tune that kit good over the phone, and diagnose any problems you may be having.
Scott
925-998-1517

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com