Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will GT 40 Crate Engine Pass Smog?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will GT 40 Crate Engine Pass Smog?
Black88TTop
¯
Member # 3032

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88TTop  Ford pictures for Black88TTop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the board and am thinking about installing a new GT 40 crate motor (345BHP) from Ford Racing. I'm very worried I won't pass smog.

Background:
- Bone Stock 88 5.0 Mustang
- will buy GT 40 crate motor
- will buy GT 40 upper and lower intake
- will convert to mass air
- will buy Ford Racing shorties
- will keep stock H-pipe, smog equipment, and after cat exhaust

--> Also, I don't know any smog shops that work with / are familiar with modified mustangs, so will be walking in cold off the street to a random smog shop to get smogged.

Should I worry? Will I pass smog?

Thanks!

Ed

Posts: 16 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the GT-40 will pass with the e-303 cam but im not sure about the others. The advertised rwhp is actually flywheel hp and maby even a little less.
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It shouldn't have a problem passing.

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Red95PonyGirl  Ford pictures for Red95PonyGirl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's got to be about 100 smog shops in santa clara....you have friends with stangs dont you? ask them where they get their cars smogged.

--------------------
http://photos.yahoo.com/red95ponygirl

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It'll pass, no problem

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with flying colors [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It'll pass fine as long as you have the e cam in there.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Black88TTop
¯
Member # 3032

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88TTop  Ford pictures for Black88TTop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks everyone for responding. It's greatly appreciated.

Ed

Posts: 16 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
iron281
¯
Member # 80

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron281  Ford pictures for iron281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It ain't gonna get any easier, that's for damn sure. Coming soon, you'll have your chance for dyno time, except it ain't for measuring horsepower !

http://www.geocities.com/smogrfg/smog/smogcheck2.html

What is Smog Check II?

Smog Check II is an enhanced version of the current vehicle-emissions inspection program. It is operating in the areas of the state with the dirtiest air. Frequently asked questions include:

When does Smog Check II start?

The program is operating now. Most of Smog Check II is being phased in. The major provisions took effect in the summer 1998. Some portions of the program have yet to be implemented.

How does it work?

Smog Check II requires most 1975 and newer vehicles to be tested every other year (new vehicles are also exempted until their fifth year). Eighty-five percent of vehicles go to neighborhood smog check facilities for testing and repairs, while 15 percent must go to designated test-only centers. These vehicles include:
· High-mileage fleet vehicles
· "Gross polluters" and other potential high-polluting vehicles
· Two-percent random sample of all covered vehicles

Is the test different?

Smog Check II uses a new dynamometer test that more accurately measures emissions by duplicating some driving conditions. It measures three pollutants: oxides of nitrogen (NOx), carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons (HC). Vehicles will also be subject to an additional test to make sure the evaporative system is operating properly.

Are emission standards stricter?

Emission standards are still based on those in effect in the vehicle's year of manufacture. New cars must still meet more stringent standards than old cars.

How likely am I to fail?

State officials estimate that 30 percent of all vehicles tested will fail, due to the more accurate and representative test. Without a pre-test, 18 percent of all vehicles tested failed under the old program.

What happens if I fail?

To be registered, failing vehicles must be repaired to meet the standards applicable to the vehicle. They may also be stored or otherwise lawfully disposed of. Eventually motorists will be able to sell their failing vehicles to the state under the "buy-back" provisions of the program. A subsidy program to assist low-income owners of failing vehicles is being developed.

[ July 08, 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: iron281 ]

--------------------
SHM H-pipe, Flowmaster, SVO pullies, PRO-M77, PRO-5.0, NOS 125 hp shot, Racesystems/Autologic, Precision 3.73

Posts: 385 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com