Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Nitrous Question (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nitrous Question
N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know shit about nitrous so here is my question. my new motor will consist of:
Summit engine kit forged 10.13:1
AFR 165 heads
E 303 cam
Would it be safe to run a 100 shot from time to time, mainly at the track or should I lower the compression. Thanks in advance

[ July 03, 2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: N0SL050 ]

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Posts: 460 | From: Martinez ,Ca | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Bounty Hunter
¯
Member # 1422

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bounty Hunter  Ford pictures for Bounty Hunter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Compression is a good thing in a nos motor!
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nitrous loves compression. 10:1 compression with n20 is good. Your combo looks pretty decent as well except for that small cam. What manifold are you going to be running?

--------------------
Support our troops!

J's90-LX
¯
Member # 2987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's90-LX  Ford pictures for J's90-LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow thats insane, I am building the exact same motor as we speak. haha

--------------------
1999 Lightning
-4lb pulley,LFP intake,tune

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your set up looks fine for N2O, are you opting for the forged pistons, you could bump the shot up to 150 if you are!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
Nitrous loves compression. 10:1 compression with n20 is good. Your combo looks pretty decent as well except for that small cam. What manifold are you going to be running?

Either the Holly systemax or the Performer RPM
What cam would u recomend?

[ July 03, 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: N0SL050 ]

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with the Edelbrock manifold with the AFR heads they work well together.

I am not any pro on cams but I do know oyu can only go so far with an e-cam. I would reccomend speaking with Shaun 93 Pony about your cam selection. I would start looking at Comp Extreme Energy Cams.

--------------------
Support our troops!

N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

This motor is holding me over till I get my boosted 331 built. I just want something that will pull off some 12 sec slips for right now. Some people have done this with the same set up as I am building all motor but just want to make sure I reach my goal with some N20

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its just a motor to hold you over, run a 200 shot and a little more aggressive cam, who gives a fuck if it blows, you are getting a 331 anyways.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red95PonyGirl  Ford pictures for Red95PonyGirl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should be ok if you dont take advantage of it.....if you shoot it off every 5 seconds you might have a problem. a friend of mine had a 2002 GT with some mods done but not too many and he got no2 and took complete advantage of it and finally he blew his piston rings and basically f*cked his whole engine up, now he is selling his stang because he can't afford the damages to be fixed.

--------------------
http://photos.yahoo.com/red95ponygirl

Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red95PonyGirl  Ford pictures for Red95PonyGirl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why the F did i put no2...i meant n2o but you get the point!

--------------------

N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N20SNAKE  Ford pictures for N20SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure where everyone is getting they're facts, but compression is not a great thing on a motor built for nitrous. High compression and nitrous = extreme cylinder pressures in turn = blown head gaskets and possibly more. this is why motors built for blowers, turbo, nitrous applications are typically built between 8 and 9.5 to 1 compression ratios. 10 to 1 is not a terrible number but I would definately advise taking at least 2 degrees of timing out and adding pleanty of fuel. And if your using a stock computer or even a computer with an aftermarket chip dont over-rev it youll be sorry if you hit that rev limiter a few times on the spray, trust me I speak from experience. I've had 4 cars with spray and have a degree in automotive technology and performance. Nitrous is the way to go on the street but know your abbilities and have it tuned right. Good luck man hope it runs like a stang should...

And the guy in the Z06 asked what the f@$! you got in there??!! I just spent $60,000 on this thing and its supposto be the baddest thing on the street!!
"5 speed and some gears... thats about it.(smirk)

Posts: 17 | From: RALEIGH NC (FROM SAN JOSE) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by N20SNAKE:
Not sure where everyone is getting they're facts, but compression is not a great thing on a motor built for nitrous. High compression and nitrous = extreme cylinder pressures in turn = blown head gaskets and possibly more. this is why motors built for blowers, turbo, nitrous applications are typically built between 8 and 9.5 to 1 compression ratios. 10 to 1 is not a terrible number but I would definately advise taking at least 2 degrees of timing out and adding pleanty of fuel. And if your using a stock computer or even a computer with an aftermarket chip dont over-rev it youll be sorry if you hit that rev limiter a few times on the spray, trust me I speak from experience. I've had 4 cars with spray and have a degree in automotive technology and performance. Nitrous is the way to go on the street but know your abbilities and have it tuned right. Good luck man hope it runs like a stang should...

And the guy in the Z06 asked what the f@$! you got in there??!! I just spent $60,000 on this thing and its supposto be the baddest thing on the street!!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Support our troops!

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Thats funny, my buddies nova has 12.5:1
compression and runs a 225 shot just fine! He just has it on stock timing, no advance! I think its all in how your motor is built!

--------------------

N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N20SNAKE  Ford pictures for N20SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WELL YOU CAN THINK THAT, BUT THATS NOT TRUE, 1 DETONATION AT THAT KIND OF PRESSURE AND...BOOM. And besides I'm talking about the right way to do things, that motor wont have longevity, and in a street driven car thats daily transportation... I'd rather do it the right way...
N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

Now that I think about it the best advise I can give you is to educate yourself... you may ask 10 people on here and get 10 different answers. Know what I'm sayin. Go to a book store and buy a book on it. Thats the best way and you'll learn alot.
S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you're trying to at least get into the twelves, for sure you'll get it with that set up. i shot a 150 nx in my all stock motor with just a couple of upgrades like, headers, x pipe and gears and i was getting 12.80's. just retard your timing and add octane booster before you squeeze.

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Go to a book store and buy a book on it. Thats the best way and you'll learn alot.

Is that how you learned a lot? Don't believe everything you read and hear.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Now that I think about it the best advise I can give you is to educate yourself... you may ask 10 people on here and get 10 different answers. Know what I'm sayin. Go to a book store and buy a book on it. Thats the best way and you'll learn alot.

A properly built nitrous motor will run a lot quicker with a higher compression motor as apposed to a lower compression motor. When using n20 on a higher compression motor you need to retard the timing more and use higher octane fuel as well as cooler plugs.

Pro Modified motors run n20 on motors that compression that exceed 15:1 so what does that tell you.

--------------------
Support our troops!

N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

That tells me your as ignorant as you sound.
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

quote:
That tells me your as ignorant as you sound.

I wouldnt say ignorant at all! You are just missinformed and playing it really safe! A motor in the 10 or 11:1 range works great with N20, as long as proper fuel and the system is set up right!

--------------------

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOW WOW WOW, lets take it easy everyone, i'm sure you all have your points. but to tell you the truth i'd rather play it safe with the nitrous, and do like n2osnake says, being safer will make you a richer man. I dont know about everyone else but i cant keep droppin bills to fix my motor. [Smile]
Red95PonyGirl
¯
Member # 3027

WERD! [Big Grin]

--------------------

N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

Thats my whole point what good does 50 more horsepower do you if it only lasts a few thousand miles, and how many passes do pro mod guys make on a motor? How much money is put into those motors to begin with? A SHIT LOAD! Like I said, if I'm building a customers car thats how I set it up or recommend them to set it up in a STREET CAR. I work at True Blue performance on the side from being a Merceded tech to get my fill, and thats the RIGHT way to do it.... but this is all besides the point, I was just trying to help a fellow mustang owner make well educated decisions and be informed. Still hope it works out bro, good luck.
N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

hey I didn't mean to start a heated debate [dance] Just asking a few opinions... Thanks to everybody for there input on my question [patriot]

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com