Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Hmmm...This USED to be a King Cobra clutch...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Hmmm...This USED to be a King Cobra clutch...
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, a few weeks ago I was shifting from third to fourth on the freway. I was turning around 5500 rpm or so at the time when the clutch pedal went to the floor and there was no more shifty.

Finally got the clutch and pressure plate (King Cobra) out today (in the freaking heat!). Here are some pics of what I found:
 -
 -
and clicky-clicky:
http://www.familyfitzpatrick.com/KC_Clutch_1.jpg
http://www.familyfitzpatrick.com/KC_Clutch_2.jpg

I'm thinking that my rear main seal was leaking quite a bit and soaked the clutch. It finally let go as I was banging gears on the freeway. The pressure plate and flywheel look like hell too.

Oh well, thanks to Ford Pny I have a SPEC Stage II in the garage ready to go in. Now I just need to get a flywheel!

Sean.

[ June 28, 2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Sean90GT ]

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you detect any slippage of the clutch before the incident? More often than not it's heat that kills clutches. If you got some oil on the clutch which allowed it to create more heat as it slipped on the flywheel and pressure plate, this could help explain what happened.

Could u see/feel any oil on the clutch disk? HOw bad was your rear main leaking?

I just installed a King Cobra myself. So far so good after 2000 miles...
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, it was starting to slip. Hard third gear shifts would spin up. And first would slip when the car was cold from a stop.

I couldn't feel oil on the disc. The pressure plate and flywheel look burnt. The flywheel has quite a few stress/heat cracks.

The rear main was leaking pretty good. The tranny and bellhousing were covered in oil/grime and there was a mess of oil inside the bellhousing. The car sits all week and only gets driven on the weekends. When I pull out after it sitting for a week there is about a 6" diameter spot of oil on the ground.

Oh well. New rear main seal is in. Got the pilot bearing in and everything cleaned up. Just need to score a flywheel and bolt everything back up.

--------------------

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's one of the nastiest clutch's I've seen. How many miles were on there? When my king cobra went after 40K miles/2 years, it didn't look bad at all. My pressure plate became weak:

-

-

I too went with the Spec II after my KC. I like the Spec II better.

-

-

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damm Sean, nice carnage you got there. Glad you got it taken care of atleast.

Did you brake it in properly when you first got it?

[ June 30, 2003, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: FordPny ]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yikes. I blew up a clutch once from mis-installation. Tried to get the motor back in the car with the tranny/clutch already installed. Not easy to align. Backed down the driveway..... *boom* lol. (I was putting a somewhat used clutch in anyways)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow that is a killed clutch

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That clutch is no where close to as killed as my stock ford clutch. When I can get the software on this comp ill post pictures. I guess the story was that the unit got so hot that the material heated up and was flung all around the inside of the bellhousing. I have most of the pieces, but I guess the techs literally had to scrape some fiberglass off the inside of the bellhousing.

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Yup, seem to have kilt it good!

I probably did not break it in very good. I do remember at least two full throttle blasts in the first 100 miles - [Eek!] One was against a fairly stock 5.0 that kicked my ass as I spun all the way through second trying to learn how to drive my new 5-speed after the AOD swap!

Alan - Things are not back together yet as I wait for a new flywheel and some miscellaneous piece parts. I am done with the pilot bearing puller that you loaned me but I am leaving town for a few days. I can get it back to you just as soon as I get back - along with that other $5 I owe you [patriot] ! Thanks for the loan it was a life saver and I couldn't think of any other way to get that bearing out of there.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com