Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need help deciding what heads to get.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need help deciding what heads to get.
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok there is 2 options.

1)TFS twisted wedge heads

2)AFR 165

the reason this is a hard decision is because i have an 86, and as you know 86s didn't come with valve reliefs. So inorder to use the afr heads i'd have to get my pistons flycut. Which costs money. How much would it cost to have my pistons flycut, and can it be done while the engine is still in the car(i've heard it can be and i've heard it can't be)?

If it doesn't cost to much to have the pistons flycut(and be able to keep the engine in the car) then my decision is already made.

and one last question where would you guys suggest going to get it done, around concord.

sorry for all the question its just a hard decision to make on my own.

thanks,
mike

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I' pretty sure with either head your gonna have to cut the pistons, especially with a nice size cam!...Just putting on 87+ E7's you have to be careful with the flat top pistons on the 86...

I vote for AFR's, but they're both great heads...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TEA TFS

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can fly-cut the pistons with the engine in the car. Although, it's easier to do it with the motor out.

I can cut the pistons if you like. For a large cam if you like. & IMO, if you're gonna cut the pistons....might as well buy 185's. [Smile]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's your combo? What are your performance goals for the car? What are your plans for the car?
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm aiming for a smog legal 12sec n/a car. So far i have:
3.55 gears
trick flow street intake
dynomax super turbo cat back
steeda tri-ax shifter
BBK underdrive pullies
BBK unequal length headers
BBK 70mm T.B. & EGR plate
BBK H-pipe w/hi-flow cats
heavy duty T-5
MSD TFI blaster coil
MSD 6A
MAF conversion

and about the flycutting the pistons while its still in the car...where does the excess metal go that you take out? Can you get all the metal out after flycutting them...and how much would you charge me to flycut my pistons?

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mike g:
i'm aiming for a smog legal 12sec n/a car. So far i have:
3.55 gears
trick flow street intake
dynomax super turbo cat back
steeda tri-ax shifter
BBK underdrive pullies
BBK unequal length headers
BBK 70mm T.B. & EGR plate
BBK H-pipe w/hi-flow cats
heavy duty T-5
MSD TFI blaster coil
MSD 6A
MAF conversion

and about the flycutting the pistons while its still in the car...where does the excess metal go that you take out? Can you get all the metal out after flycutting them...and how much would you charge me to flycut my pistons?

see 67Stang's combo and post in this tech section. His setup should more than give you what you need. You'll just need to swap H pipe's come smog time. Extremely simple and very effective.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We use a spare head to do the cutting....& it's done with the piston at TDC. All the aluminum shavings gets blown out with an air hose. No biggie. Just a nice mess under the car when we're done. LOL
Check PM's.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFS, ive seen TFS do a lot better times then most AFR's. but hey its personal preference really. i doubt you'll see very much of a difference. or look up the flow charts for both heads.

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by 92coupe:
TFS, ive seen TFS do a lot better times then most AFR's. but hey its personal preference really. i doubt you'll see very much of a difference. or look up the flow charts for both heads.

Flow #'s are only half the story.
The informed know which heads to choose.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
TEA TFS

[worship]

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I vote for getting the pistons flycut and going w/AFR 185s. [patriot]
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFS!!
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I were buying cylinder heads today, I would get either...

a.) TFS TW
b.) AFR 165's 58cc

People have had overwhelming success with these two heads.
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just put tfs high ports on my car and im lovin them so far.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how many miles are on the '86 motor? what compression/leakdown are you getting now? Depending on the answers to those questions I might hesitate with this buildup if I were you.

You can use a '87-95 HO piston to mock up where the valve reliefs are supposed to be, and you can rent the tool from napa I believe. Try and be careful and get all the shavings out, and to be safe I'd do an oil change after 100 miles or so.

And on this head debate I've seen from combos on the corral over time that if you pick Windsor Sr, TFS , AFR, edelbrock performer, etc. etc, it doesn't seem to make a damn bit of difference. The devil is in the details of the combo (intake, cam, accessories, exhaust, compression) and the stuff that nobody ever talks about.

Also, IMHO, 3.55s are too small unless this is a mid 11 second car or faster.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:
i just put tfs high ports on my car and im lovin them so far.

Cool, what's your combo? Any plans to take it to the dyno or track test it?
icon
¯
Member # 949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for icon  Ford pictures for icon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
isky sells a tool to do it and it requires you to pull your valves out of your head and put a arbor through the valve guide with a cutting die.so you need 1 arbor and 2 size dies...i recomend putting grease around the top of the piston along the block so shavings dont get in between the block and piston by he rings....then vaccum it out clean up the grease and move on i dont see to much of a problem....just dont make a .550 deep relif because you have a .550 lift cam you wont need much or a relif..good luck [dance]

--------------------
i have a dual frame rail chromoly tube chassis mustang and you dont :)
i do chassis work anything for subframe con's to full chassis cars

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFS, but any head can be made to go fast.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Umm my combo is- tfs high port heads, tfs track heat intake, f-cam, 70mm throttle body, bbk longtubes and matching h pipe, 3:73's, 30lb injectors and 76mm pro-m mass air, bbk cold air, pullys, crane 1.6 rockers, electric fans. the lower only has 20,000 miles on it to. about the track im hopefully gonna find some time to take it to apex real soon, hopefully next couple of weeks and then im heading to the track on some slicks. what do you think of the combo?

[ June 29, 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: white1990stang ]

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a cool combo that's begging for a super charger. A local a few years ago had a somewhat similar combo that made about 285 rwhp: Ported Edel. 6037's, Ported Performer and a F cam.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com