Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » IDLE SURGE FIX FOR 87-93 WITH E303?? HELP

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: IDLE SURGE FIX FOR 87-93 WITH E303?? HELP
89SIDWAZGT
¯
Member # 1502

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SIDWAZGT  Ford pictures for 89SIDWAZGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I HAVE AN 89 5.0 WITH THE ECAM I GET THE IDLE SURGE SO BAD SOMETIME'S IT DIES, I HAVE BEEN TOLD THERE IS A PLATE YOU INSTALL, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET IT AND WHAT THE PART # IS IF IT'S A FORD PART???? THANKS.
Posts: 239 | From: South San Jose | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You shouldn't need that plate with the E303.

Here's a list of things to do/check:

1. Clean the 10-pin connectors. Make sure they're getting good contact.
2. Check TPS voltage. Make sure it's not over 1 volt at idle. .8-.98 is fine..just not over 1 volt. Drill out the mounting holes & adjust as neccessary.
3. Do the 'idle reset' prcedure on the corral. Do this when the car is up to temp. Disconnect the battery for ~20 minutes. Unplug the IAB valve & start the car. Set idle to ~800rpm & shut the car off for ~2 minutes. At this time check the TPS again to make sure it's under 1 volt. Plug the IAB valve back in & start the car & let it run for ~2 minutes....then shut the car off. After ~2 minutes start the car up & run ALL the accessories to put as much of a load on the motor as possible. Let the motor run like this for ~2 minutes. Shut it down. The computer should now have learned how to idle with the E.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoostangGT  Ford pictures for MoostangGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford part number F2PZ-9F939-A

It helped a bit with mine, and makes idle adjustments so much better.

What type of maf do you have?

Also dropping my fuel pressure helped mine (if you have an adjustable regulator).

--------------------
Sabrina aka The chick in the cow print pants.

Posts: 106 | From: Redding, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
You shouldn't need that plate with the E303.

Here's a list of things to do/check:

1. Clean the 10-pin connectors. Make sure they're getting good contact.
2. Check TPS voltage. Make sure it's not over 1 volt at idle. .8-.98 is fine..just not over 1 volt. Drill out the mounting holes & adjust as neccessary.
3. Do the 'idle reset' prcedure on the corral. Do this when the car is up to temp. Disconnect the battery for ~20 minutes. Unplug the IAB valve & start the car. Set idle to ~800rpm & shut the car off for ~2 minutes. At this time check the TPS again to make sure it's under 1 volt. Plug the IAB valve back in & start the car & let it run for ~2 minutes....then shut the car off. After ~2 minutes start the car up & run ALL the accessories to put as much of a load on the motor as possible. Let the motor run like this for ~2 minutes. Shut it down. The computer should now have learned how to idle with the E.

Whats the IAB? Can you explain step 3 a little better or do you have a link? I'd like to do the same on my car, it idles pretty bad after the cam install. Thanks.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Idle air bypass valve. It's located on the side of the TB. By dis-connect it I mean un-plug the electrical harness from it. There's a pic of it in the link.

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/idlereset.html

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Confused]

[ June 16, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com