Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » strange idle

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: strange idle
92SilverGT
¯
Member # 2729

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for 92SilverGT  Ford pictures for 92SilverGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok i just replaced the heads of my 92 gt with some off of an 89 with 50k on them, while i was in there i changed my cam to an e303 and now when its really cold it surges at idle. not the normal lopy idle, but it almost dies then go to 1,500 and does it over and over again. ive got the base timing at 10 and it runs hard and strong once warm, but when i have to leave for work at 6am my neighbors dont seem to like my reving, so if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate them, thanx
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I saw in another post you said you cleaned your IAC? maybe its messed up. test it with an ohmmeter. Also double check plugs, cap rotor wires, etc

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
up the idle a little too, my e cam idles at 900, anything lower and it doesnt really like it, but i also have a weird setup so it could just be my lack of a lot of emmisions stuff and other wiring that is gone

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

92SilverGT
¯
Member # 2729

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92SilverGT  Ford pictures for 92SilverGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i cleaned my iac like 3 weeks before and it worked fine. i'll try and do my idle but after its warm it idle fine at like 700, well it sounds cool, and ive got no cats either, thanx guys.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What MAF and injectors do you have? Have you tried playing with your idle screw and TPS settigns?
92SilverGT
¯
Member # 2729

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92SilverGT  Ford pictures for 92SilverGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive got the stock injectors and the maf. ive been messing with it a little bit and it seams to be getting better, but no it surges when im at like 1,700 rpm and its pissing me off. I raised my idle back up to about 900 give or take 50 and im gonna go and try it again. and i havent messed with my throttle stettings.
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you got those heads, did you have them surfaced or checked for cracks?? when you buy useds heads always take them somewhere or to someone who can surface them or check for cracks, or any machine work that may need to be done. My car did the same thing when it was cold, when you get on it does cooolant shoot out of the overflow resevoir?? does it run warmer then before? [Big Grin]
92SilverGT
¯
Member # 2729

nope, i didnt get them checked out. i was kinda in a hurry to get the car done because its my only ride. and no coolant shoots out and it runs pretty cold with the 160 thermastate ive been running.
MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoostangGT  Ford pictures for MoostangGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you checked for vacuum leaks around your intake, or may your forgot to hook a hose back up? Also you said you readjusted you idle, did you remember to check your TPS?

--------------------
Sabrina aka The chick in the cow print pants.

Posts: 106 | From: Redding, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
92SilverGT
¯
Member # 2729

ive known about 2 vacuum leaks before i did the cam, and talking to some guys at work that ran that cam said they needed to find all vacuum leaks and 1 needed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. and when i adjust my idle do i have to adjust the tps? if so, how?
MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoostangGT  Ford pictures for MoostangGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For adjusting the TPS visit
http://www.50tech.com/articles/display_article.php?catid=9&id=10

--------------------
Sabrina aka The chick in the cow print pants.

Posts: 106 | From: Redding, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com