Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rotting negative terminal

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rotting negative terminal
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, finally got home yesterday, and decided to clean out my engine bay today. Started with the battery... and never finished...

My negative terminal wire's rubber seems to have ripped open, and the copper is exposed. Except that the copper's entirely full of lime-like corrosion. I can hit the wire, and make some of the white powdery crap loosen and fly out of the ripped open holes, but it just keeps pouring out. Then I tried to loosen the terminals and free the wires to work with them separately, but that ended poorly. I could turn the nut on one of the terminals (the other one was too stripped to even get the socket to grip), but the other end just spins freely as well. Anyone know how I can loosen this crap without going out to buy antiseize? And has anyone else had the problem with the negative terminal going to hell? Any advice is appreciated.

--------------------
'95 GT
And she pings like a Chinese sports channel without the pong.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Old age. Just rip/cut off the old cable and go to a parts store, Target, Walmart, ect and buy a new cable.
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Upon closer inspection... it seems that the damage wasn't limited to the negative terminal alone, my positive connector is missing a decent amount (15-20%) of metal. Should I get a new battery and let whoever's installing it take care of getting the crap loose?

--------------------
'95 GT

Ming
¯
Member # 2336

So you're saying just get a new piece of cable.. any advice on how to connect the two? I have a feeling my soldering abilities which are limited to headphone repair won't really cut it for heavy duty copper cables...

--------------------
'95 GT

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you need a new battary? If you are in need of a new battery just cut the terminals off of the cables and get rid of the whole battery and cable terminals. Go to the store buy new terminal attachers thingies and bolt them to your cables then bolt the terminals to the battery. Very simple.
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

sounds like a good idea, but i'll probably still have to replace the negative terminal wire too.. thanks for your help

--------------------
'95 GT

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The wire/cable is sold pre-assembled with connectors for about $6. You may notice faster cranking and engine starts with fresh cables [patriot]
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ooo where can I find that?

--------------------
'95 GT

Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Well crapshaets. I just took a look at the cables. Turns out the positive and negative combine into one big bundle surrounded by currougated plastic, and then it goes under the car, across the underside of the engine, and up somewhere. I lose it at that point. Anyone tried replacing the terminal cables on an SN95 5.0 before? If so, I really need help. It seems bit tedious =(

--------------------
'95 GT

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ming:
Well crapshaets. I just took a look at the cables. Turns out the positive and negative combine into one big bundle surrounded by currougated plastic, and then it goes under the car, across the underside of the engine, and up somewhere. I lose it at that point. Anyone tried replacing the terminal cables on an SN95 5.0 before? If so, I really need help. It seems bit tedious =(

are you a girl?? if a girl are you hott? if no to either question, i cant help you sorry.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Haha note to self, get more manly forum name...
Sorry to burst your bubble, I'm not a girl. Just an idiot when it comes to cars.

--------------------
'95 GT

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ming:
Haha note to self, get more manly forum name...
Sorry to burst your bubble, I'm not a girl. Just an idiot when it comes to cars.

lol it is alright bro
[dance]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Sorry guys, need some help again. I went to look for battery cables, and the longest Kragens had was 54'', which I didn't think was long enough. I called the dealer, and since the two cables go into a bundle of other wires before they loop around the engine, I'd have to order that entire bundle, and it'd run me $300. Does anyone know where a good DIY ground spot on the engine would be? This is for a SN95 5.0 btw. Thanks.

--------------------
'95 GT

cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe those cables run under the car to the starter motor. It's the round thing located on the back/underside of the enigne itself on the lower passengerside of the car. It's mounted to the bellhousing (the big metal thing attached to the back of your engine that covers your clutch).
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

I wish my head was small enough for me to go verify that. Anyone in the Fremont bay area with some spare jack stands? =D

--------------------
'95 GT

outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had that problem a long time ago...do what i did because i did'nt feel like getting my hands dirty..... Go to SEARS buy an OPTIMA or DIEHARD battery for the 80-120 bucks, and they'll install it, fix your cables, and you'll have your three year warranty. LMAO....i needed a new battery though at the time so figured fuck it. Really though, i doubt you have to change the WHOLE battery cable line(all the way down). Just half of it, splice it, and get new connector terminals.

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com