Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » spring question??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: spring question??
94dropteezyGT
¯
Member # 2385

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94dropteezyGT  Ford pictures for 94dropteezyGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i bought some used sportlines for my 88 droptop and im 100% sure there i put them in the right place but why is the front like 3/4 higher than the rear?? is it because the springs used to be on a hardtop?? my one friend said it might be because my shocks are dead but i dont think so..... anyone??? thanks...

--------------------
" and im out... half a blunt hangin out my mouth speedin' like a demon on 101 south..."

R.I.P. Nicholas Bowley
R.I.P. Mike "Biggie" Aguilar

Posts: 159 | From: san francisco | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It very well could be your shocks. You did make sure that the taller front springs went in the front and the shorter ones in the back right? You can tell the difference between the front and back real easy just by looking at them. Other than that, you really need new shocks/quad shocks bro.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you sure you put the front spings in the front, and the back springs in the back?

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by getnsydwayz:
i bought some used sportlines for my 88 droptop and im 100% sure there i put them in the right place but why is the front like 3/4 higher than the rear?? is it because the springs used to be on a hardtop?? my one friend said it might be because my shocks are dead but i dont think so..... anyone??? thanks...

*You can not put coupe springs on a convertable, they have different spring rates!!!!!!! [Roll Eyes]

*Eibach even list different part#'s for a convertable!!!!!
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?category=Springs&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Mustang+GT&autoYear=1988&brand=Eibach&x=141&y=11

The reason the rear of your car is lower is its not able to compensate for the heavier convertable with the softer coupe springs!!!

Buy new springs!!!

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
94dropteezyGT
¯
Member # 2385

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94dropteezyGT  Ford pictures for 94dropteezyGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The reason the rear of your car is lower is its not able to compensate for the heavier convertable with the softer coupe springs!!!

Buy new springs!!![/QB][/QUOTE]

i know thats what im sayin i think im just get a new set of intrax for my droptop.... thanks huys for the advise

--------------------
" and im out... half a blunt hangin out my mouth speedin' like a demon on 101 south..."

R.I.P. Nicholas Bowley

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your goin to buy springs I would stick to the correct fitment Eibach's or H&R's...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just because a Mustang may have the "correct fitment" Eibachs doesn't mean the rear won't be lower. Eibachs have a nasty habit of sagging in the rear, which is just one reason we don't use them. They're pretty crappy springs.
The Sportlines are for nothing more than lowering your car in the weeds. Having your car that low does zero for handling. In fact, it hurts handling, since your car will be sitting on the bumpstops most of the time. The Eibach ProKit springs are very soft, have a sproingy (!!) ride, and bounce off the bumpstops with even the most minor suspension travel.

[ March 21, 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Bill/APEX Motorsports ]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats your opinion on H&R Bill?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
94dropteezyGT
¯
Member # 2385

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/APEX Motorsports:
Just because a Mustang may have the "correct fitment" Eibachs doesn't mean the rear won't be lower. Eibachs have a nasty habit of sagging in the rear, which is just one reason we don't use them. They're pretty crappy springs.
The Sportlines are for nothing more than lowering your car in the weeds. Having your car that low does zero for handling. In fact, it hurts handling, since your car will be sitting on the bumpstops most of the time. The Eibach ProKit springs are very soft, have a sproingy (!!) ride, and bounce off the bumpstops with even the most minor suspension travel.

so what kinda spring do u recommend for my droptop?? if i want it low?? intrax?? steeda?? h&R?? i want to go anywere between 1 1/2 to 2 inches... thanks

--------------------

R.I.P. Nicholas Bowley

Mustangfiv0
¯
Member # 2231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustangfiv0  Ford pictures for Mustangfiv0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the intrax 2 inch drop springs from summit for 200, There pretty good, the front is lower than the back, I think i got alittle more than a 2 inch drop also.

--------------------
Hp cost money, How much are you willing to spend???
http://www.geocities.com/supra1on1/mycar.html

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com