Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Alternator issues....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternator issues....
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, so I know my alternator is bad. Amps are way low when the car is on. I had to jump it today just to move it to in front of my house. So the alternator is toast. I'm gonna do the underdrive pullies next, so I guess it'd be a good idea to upgrade the alternator. My buddy told me to put the 94+ alternator on, and in doind research here, I heard some people saying to put the 3g alternator on. First of all, are they the same thing or no? Second of all, is there any other equipment necessary for the swap over, or does it bolt right on? Lastly, how much money are we talking for the whole thing? I'm a little short on funds right now and it sucks [Frown] . Thanks for the help!

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a sn95 alternator, almost brand new, i would be willing to help u install it if u bought it from me, all i want in return is the plug that u cut off and obviously payment for the alternator, make me an offer over pms if interested

and when u put a bigger alternator on, it would be a good i dea to run an extra 4gauge wire from the alternator to the +post on the battery, the stock wires just are not meant to handle that much of an increase in amoerage

that and u have to do a little bit of grinding on the factory braket to get it to fit, sn95 housing is bigger than stock foxbody housing

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
66 AC Cobra - Check your PMs. [Smile]

So is a "3g" alternator the same as the SN95 one? Also, how much would a new alternator cost at like Kragens or something?

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys I am in the same boat (buds alt on my rig) so what is this 3g alt? What did it come off of, where do you get them is the comp wire hook up still their or needed?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look at the begginning of this article, it should tell u what u nned to know, the only thing ua are missing in the members are is install pictures

fordmuscle.com 3g install

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am just going to go to Kragen and ask for a 94-95 mustang five liter alternator. Then I am going to install it and finally get the electric black magic fan I have been waiting to get forever but never had anough amps to put it on.

The 3g has 50 amps at idle compared to a factory fox alternator barely at 20amps. [Eek!]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Zay
¯
Member # 2553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zay  Ford pictures for Zay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just put a 3g on my 91 coupe and yes it is the same as the 94-95 mustang. Install took 30 minutes, The most time was spent modifying and painting the alternator bracket. Please get the new 4 guage wire, why risk a engine fire or melt down!!!!Several swap links on corral!!!!

--------------------
2002 F150 SuperCrew/90 Coupe/89 Saleen Convertible #243/66 Fastback "A" Code/65 Fastback "C" Code Restomod.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com