Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » performance chip????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: performance chip????
89mustang
¯
Member # 1362

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89mustang  Ford pictures for 89mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i hear people talking about chips all the time, i have an 89 GT and i was wondering if there is a chip that will work in my car? how much? and wether or not its worth it to put it in? does anyone know if they increase performance much?? and if so what kind did you get?
thanks

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the best thing to do is get all the mods you want done to your car, then get a custom chip burnt. It is kind of useless to get one now, and then you are going to change parts later.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
89mustang
¯
Member # 1362

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89mustang  Ford pictures for 89mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only mods i have done are headers pulleys and cold air. should i wait to get the intake heads and cam?
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes, and don't get caught up on those jet chips.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
89mustang
¯
Member # 1362

whats a jet chip? who should i buy the chip from when i do? and about how much will i be paying??
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Get one from Apex or Mustang Ranch. They are kinda pricey, $200 for the chip, and $175/hr for the tuning.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Even if heads/intake/cam are your only mods, chances are good that with "basic" 5.O tuning skills, you can get up to 90% of what a custom chip has to offer. Start looking into custom chips when you're supercharged.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Even if heads/intake/cam are your only mods, chances are good that with "basic" 5.O tuning skills, you can get up to 90% of what a custom chip has to offer. Start looking into custom chips when you're supercharged.

but if you have a crappy 94/95 computer like I do, you will need a chip.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
exactly what I was going to say Glenn [Razz]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by PseudoCobra:
exactly what I was going to say Glenn [Razz]

i bought an autologic chip used for $75, [Big Grin]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Zay
¯
Member # 2553

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for Zay  Ford pictures for Zay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I owned my 95GT I bought a performance improvement harness and used a A9L computer from the FOX Body cars. Gave my car a real boost!!!I sold the car because the wife wanted to go back to a fox body!!! As far as the 89GT, you would be wasting money on a chip at this point. Learn to tune your car first. You get a chip when your modifications exceed the the factory computer specifications.... Try a set of gears if you have not done tis swap already... best bang for the buck..

--------------------
2002 F150 SuperCrew/90 Coupe/89 Saleen Convertible #243/66 Fastback "A" Code/65 Fastback "C" Code Restomod.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com