Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fox Check Engine light???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fox Check Engine light???
89SIDWAZGT
¯
Member # 1502

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SIDWAZGT  Ford pictures for 89SIDWAZGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone know the best way to find out why the check engine light is on? I have a 89 GT with a E 303 cam, Edelbrock TB, and some basic bolt ons.
If anyone can help let me know, I'm trying to get it ready to sell! Thanks.

Posts: 239 | From: South San Jose | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Scann the codes.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It has to due with your smog equipment or vacuum lines. Trust me, I had the same problem when I was about to sell my 93GT. I had a smog hose that somehow broke off a hose clamp and the vacuum pressure was ALL fucked up. I fixed that shit and the light went away. Make sure everything is connected properly and tight!

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check all your plugs especially your egr plug.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One way to do it is replace every single part, one by one, until your check engine light goes off..(LMFAO! [Big Grin] )....

Get a quality code scanner (like Snap-On) and find out exactly what the problem is right away....If you cant get a code scanner then it will still be cheaper to pay a good shop 1/2 an hour labor to find out the codes..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
punkrawkdude99
¯
Member # 2427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for punkrawkdude99  Ford pictures for punkrawkdude99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check engine light is almost always emissions related...i would start with the obvious and simple....make sure your o2 sensors are plugged in and not destroyed....i would have smog pump tested and see if it works....it could be the computer not letting the smog pump valve open....that's a computer malfunction...i've seen that happen in a lot of 91-93 stangs with maf and those newer computers....
Posts: 34 | From: Northridge, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it matters my check engine light came on a few months ago...turns out the orange wire that was bolted to the back of the driver side head..i think it grounded either the fuel pressure regultor or the fuel injectors? i reconnected it to the wire harness right above the pcv valve..no more check engine light. [Razz]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My neighbor just scanned mY 91 GT tonight for an engine light comming on at acceleration and then going off. The scan showed the pip is not working right and the neutral safity is not grounded right and also my pcv is faulity. Took him 5 min to do this so once it is fixed he will check and clear all codes then add about 15hp to the comp. I love having gear heads for neighbors.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can use a digital voltmeter to scan for codes (check your chiltons), or the $25 'code scanner' for Ford's they sell in the parts stores.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.corral.net/eec has good info.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com