Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what things you can do to an 87 gt

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what things you can do to an 87 gt
punkrawkdude99
¯
Member # 2427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for punkrawkdude99  Ford pictures for punkrawkdude99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What can you do to an 87 stang that has 190,000 miles on it....it's speed density...i dont want to dump a ton of money into internal engine mods that cant be swapped to the next engine...when this motor goes i plan on putting a gt-40 or svo b303 engine in there...so far i have motor sport plugs, motorsport clutch, 3.73 ring and pinion, and a b&m short shifter...i was thinking about putting the cobra upper and lower into it and 24/lb injectors....is this even worth doing since i have speed density and not MAF?? any ideas would be greatful....
Posts: 34 | From: Northridge, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
190k miles? dont do anything...save your time and effort on the new motor. there is absolutely nothing wrong in speed density. in fact many people, including myself, prefer it over mass air -provided the computer is correctly tuned. 24lb injectors will probably not help your current setup.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First....think about your overall goal with the car. What do you want out of it? Make a plan now and try to stick with it. This will definitely save you money in the long run. Do you have exhaust and pullies yet? A cobra intake, full exhaust, a K&N filter, and pullies is a nice place to start. Like Chosen1 said, you won't need new injectors now so don't buy them yet.
Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do not install 24 lbs injectors. You don't need them.

Some underdrive pullies will be a major help right now.

An off road H pipe wouldn't hurt.

I imagine you've done the basic 5.O stuff like 12 degrees timing, removed the air silencer, installed a 180 thermostat, made sure the EEC has no codes, ect.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
installed a 180 thermostat, .

Would this actually help any performance in the car?

--------------------
Support our troops!

punkrawkdude99
¯
Member # 2427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for punkrawkdude99  Ford pictures for punkrawkdude99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
timing is set to 14 btdc....it has high flow h-pipe cats and 2 chamber flowmaster....i think i wrote this early in the morning...how my dumbass forgot those things i dont know....looks like underdrive pulleys are my only option....over all goal of the car is to make it a nice looking but powerful street car....this will never be a strip car....ever...i just want it to be balls to the wall....eventually i would like to drop a nicer engine in it...seems like it would be economical then taking the current one out tearing it apart and rebuilding it...my only fear with underdrive pullies is killing the electrical...car has a really nice but powerful system in it....i've eatten to alternators already....maybe i should think about putting in one of those 140 amp alternators and a high power battery...one that can handle that type of amp...then put in pullies??
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
slap a 200 dry shot on there

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

punkrawkdude99
¯
Member # 2427

that would help me in achieving my goal of waiting for the engine to die on it's own....
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That would be a good idea. install the 3g 140 amp alternator upgrade kit, pullies, and if you have some extra cash laying around, change the water pump to a high flow one like edelbrocks victor or watever you prefer. Its an upgrade that will never hurt ya, especially on the new motor and if you get real serious later on and want to really start upgrading!

Dont forget a cold air induction kit, not only looks great but helps in the hp department as well. Dont forget weight reduction, trunk mounted battery kits, suspension(upper and lower control arms), aluminum driveshaft, etc.. the list goes on, all depends on your budget. I personally would leave the motor alone with that many miles. I would do the suspension personally, helps out a lot! [patriot] [burnout]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
punkrawkdude99
¯
Member # 2427

i recently rebuilt some of the suspension....changed out the struts and shocks....and put new sway bar bushings in...man that made a huge difference...guess all that is left is tha control bars...i have 17 inch chrome ponies on it with 45 series tires so the thing takes corners incredibly well....better then alot of rice rockets...
punkrawkdude99
¯
Member # 2427

i recently rebuilt some of the suspension....changed out the struts and shocks....and put new sway bar bushings in...man that made a huge difference...guess all that is left is tha control bars...i have 17 inch chrome ponies on it with 45 series tires so the thing takes corners incredibly well....better then alot of rice rockets...
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will agree with the suspension idea. Don't focus on a motor that old just let it be. Go with all your bolt-ons like exsaust and whatnot. Getting the car ready is more effective. Lose the weight and get the suspension right. Subframes/Torque boxes welded are always a good idea.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
punkrawkdude99
¯
Member # 2427

i want some subframe connectors...it is better to get the weld on ones then the bolt on ones?? thinking about new headers too...those stock ones look restrictive...those can be dragged on to the next motor right?

[ February 19, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: punkrawkdude99 ]

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
installed a 180 thermostat, .

Would this actually help any performance in the car?
Yes. Does YOUR car run quicker hot or warm???? For those of you who have no idea why an ice bag at the track is good; COOLER IS BETTER!

[ February 19, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Quick 88LX ]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get your sub frames welded in and get full lenght. You WILL notice a nice difference. If you completely redo your suspension, you will also notice a huge difference in ride quality and overall handling. Your exhaust can be swapped to the new motor no problem. Just go with what you have heard around as good basic bolt ons and your car will float. intake, caold air induction, pulleys, 3g alternator (you won't kill that one), 180 thermo, headers, throttle body no bigger than 70mm, new engine management like MSD 6AL, new coil, plugs and wires, distributor, electric fan if you want etc... You can get anything you want because the Mustang aftermarket has allowed people like us to do whatever we want to [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

PS, all those things I listed can be kept AND/OR swapped to the new motor [burnout]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com