Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Nitto 555R opinions?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Nitto 555R opinions?
mike22ca
¯
Member # 1675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike22ca  Ford pictures for mike22ca    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am thinking about getting some Nitto 555R's for my rear. What is everyones opinion on they? They work well for the street and stip?

Mike

Posts: 303 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
run bfg drag radials, i know a few people that swear by them, nittos are great, but for max street traction and decent drivability, go with the bfg DR's, they wont let u down

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On the contrary I have heard Nittos droppind 5 tenths. man that is half a second. camara90 can vouch that too. shit I have been launching pretty consistently still with worn treads! I even swapped out my BALD nittos for a few weeks and ran street tires and said fuck it, i get better traction with the bald nittos. I heard some not so good things about BFG drag radials. They do stick a little but for higher hp they are weak. nittos grab NICELY even on 17's. It is a little nicer with 16's because you can vary the air pressure in the tire more [Big Grin] Although you could get mickey thompson ET streets [patriot] [burnout] [burnout]

[ February 06, 2003, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Quick 88LX ]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They work about 7000 times better than regular radials. I had them on my old Lightning and got low 1.8 60's easily and that was in a truck with no weight over the rear end and 525 ft.lb's of TORQUE!

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey nick, look at the drag radial racing class, every single person is runnin bfg's, nittos hook, but damn, them bfg's are bad, the cobra is gettin a set along with the aftercooled vortech in june, u know what that meens for u, a set of 24#ers and the maf maybe, unless jeff ever finishes his crap and then take his, later [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nittos are good if they will be driven on the street as well as the track. If you will only use them at the track say on a pair of seprate rims then get the BFG's.

Dont get anything smaller than 275's in the back though.

--------------------
Support our troops!

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nitto's are great but here's the problem. They don't last very long at all. My advice is to get yourself some ET streets and when you plan on street racing or going to the track you can throw them on cause they are street legal. Then you have your regular radials and still get nice mileage off those. That's my 2 cents. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran Nitto 245/16's on my weekend only car. They lasted me a year and I was happy with the traction (seemed to launch best @ 18 psi).
I then tried the BFG drags, 255/16. Yes, the traction was better but because I increased my gearing too... I really can't make a back to back comparison. They lasted me 3-4 months.
If you plan on using the bottle right off the line, then get ET streets or similar. If $$ is an issue and your NOT hitting the NOS too early, then just practice with the 555R's. They are a great value, and yes, have larger sizes available that BFG's.

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PseudoCobra:
Nitto's are great but here's the problem. They don't last very long at all. My advice is to get yourself some ET streets and when you plan on street racing or going to the track you can throw them on cause they are street legal. Then you have your regular radials and still get nice mileage off those. That's my 2 cents. [patriot]

I second that.....Plus for everyday driving I found that DR kicked up tons of rocks on my rear bumper....

However I think that your original question was not about 555DR's but about 555R's(regular radials)...The regular radial 555's are a great tire..I found that they wear very well..You can find a softer tire but they're normally more expensive..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PseudoCobra:

YES! I am experiencing that right now. Not only am I out of a set of drg tires- I'm out a set of street tires AT THE SAME TIME. Fixed the drag tire problem. Working on the street tire...

btw- mine lasted about 6 months.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

My01Stang
¯
Member # 1044

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for My01Stang  Ford pictures for My01Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went through the same situation. I went with the Nitto's. I love them. The only thing is on Wednesday nite's they don't let you heat them up that long. Nitto's need to heat up good before they really grip. Just my 2cents.

--------------------
In the Garage:
2003 Ford Crown Vic
2004 Harley Heritage Softail Classic
2006 Ford F150 Lariat

Posts: 321 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
mike22ca
¯
Member # 1675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike22ca  Ford pictures for mike22ca    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for helping me out here guys. I'm looking for something that I can use street and strip. Occasionaly, I do hit the NOS early and I spin a lot and want something that'll grip. But, it seems the general concensus here is that the Nitto 555R street legal drag tires are the best for both worlds right? I read the reviews on stangnet.com, and they were awesome. I am thinking of getting 275/45/R17's. Remember, this is for a sprayin' v6.
Posts: 303 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 555 are allright a little $ for a tire that doesn't last to long.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got 8k miles from my nittos. they are great tires. they give a smoother ride, they're good in the turns, and they throw rocks up at tailgaters [Big Grin]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
***Go up a few posts***

-Opps I just checked and the Drag radials are called 555R's..Sorry!.......I thought the Drag Radials were called 555DR's [Mad] ....It makes more sense doesnt it?

[ February 07, 2003, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com