Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Spark Plugs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Spark Plugs
04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are people using in their cars?? Looking at trying the Denso's.. Any views??

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just use the normal autolite's. I hear they're just relabled Motorcrafts made in the same assembly plant.

I'm sure for as long as spark plugs have been around, people have been trying to get significant gains from them. In the 90's it was all about "split fires", now it seems that Denso is the trend. I suppose only time will tell.

jr5.0
¯
Member # 399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jr5.0  Ford pictures for jr5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i use autolites but i have heard the denso plugs are really good and really expensive.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use Autolite Platnum's in my N/A 5.0..Sawson is right, Autolite's are almost exatly the same as the Motorcrafts....I've seen blown 4.6's respond well to NGK's TR6's...I've read about the Denso's giving 5+rwhp!..A guy at Vic Hubbards told me that you cant run any after-market ignitions (MSD) with the Denso Ireduim plugs..He said they get too hot and foul out..I dont know if this is true or not..Ive tried every kind of plug from the Bosch Platinum 4 (4 prong)to the AC RapidFire's(I know its GM)and I swear that the Autolite's run the best..Cheaper too!

If you look at some of the aluminum head manufactures, like AFR, they recommend Autolite's, but thats for 5.0h's

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use autolite 24's in my 91. They are like $1 a plug from Walmart. Best prices I have found. I belive plugs are all the same for Naturally aspirated cars. I belive you can only pick up real gains with setting proper gaps on tyhe plugs themselves and making sure to get the right heat range for oyur application.

--------------------
Support our troops!

vee8ford
¯
Member # 2204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vee8ford  Ford pictures for vee8ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have platinum Champion 3025's gapped at .054" and the car seems to run fine to me although I have heard that platinum's aren't the best way to go with 5.0's.

--------------------
Jon G.
'92 LX 5.0
My Car

Posts: 40 | From: San Luis Obispo/Fresno, CA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
mustangcam302
¯
Member # 2315

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustangcam302  Ford pictures for mustangcam302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do u guys like runnin the platinums??? B/C my 5.0 ran like crap with the motorcraft platinums,IMO i think the pushrod motors like the basic plug like the OEM motorcraft/autolites. And as far as the split/multi pronged plugs IMHO....waste of money man....the spark doesnt care which electrode its gonna take as long as its the shortest and easiest one. Now as far as denso plugs, i here they are good on the mod motors havent really heard much on the pushrod side. But,now if i remeber correctly i have heard that the denso wires are really good, but damn expensive....the trick is that they use a capacitor inside the wires, import guys love 'em and, sad to say they did show quite a bit of improvement over stock on the dyno.
Posts: 163 | From: San Diego CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Too bad I do not have wires on my car... On the Plat's fr the Pushrod cars.. I used to run Bosch Plat's only in my 66' (289 Hi-PP), 87' 5.0, 90' 5.0, 93' 5.0, 94' 5.0.. Never had a problem. They all varied in mods from wild to semi mild.. None stock..
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any pushrod motor I've ever tried to run platinum plugs in (newest car being a '96) has run like crap.

slap in a copper plug, best bet IMHO for distributor cars...

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just get the autolite's, best bang for the buck [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com