Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rerouting engine compartment wiring?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rerouting engine compartment wiring?
90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90LX  Ford pictures for 90LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How hard is this to do. I have seen the mustangs in the magazines and I would like to do that to mine. Has anyone tried doing this. Where do they put all of the wiring? Oh yeah I have a 90 5.0.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never looked too difficult. Looks like it would be fun, just take a loonnngggg time. Worth it in the end.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did it to my 'vert and it not that difficult.
I ran the wires into the wheelwells, moved the starter solenoid, and crap into the wheelwells also. If you look behind the shock towers, you will see a good sized hole. I left the wiring where it was coming out of the firewall, put it through the hole behind the shock tower.
The main wiring harness that runs along the firewall can be relocated into the transmission tunnel. I didn't move mine because I just wanted to get my motor be in and running (did all of the wiring relocation after I blew the motor and had the engine compartment repainted)

I have some pictures around here somewhere. If I can find them , I post them here

Later
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Now that I think about it, the reason I didn't move the loom that goes across the firewall is because I didn't know where to move it to !!
Later I learned that it could be moved and attached in the transmission tunnel but I never got around to doing it

I found that pictures, I just need to get them to my host site, and linked here

Brian

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

[ January 23, 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90LX  Ford pictures for 90LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info. I am curious to see the pics.
90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Did you ever get the pics up on the site?
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Not yet,what's your e-mail addy?
I'll just send them to you

Brian

90LX
¯
Member # 1487

dunerider94@hotmail.com. thanks
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can i see them too?

huev0z@att.net

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brian, could you toss a couple pics to hidnnos@aol.com

Thanks

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Just checkin to see if you sent the pics becuase if you did I didnt get any.
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

I am not at home or near my computer right now.
It'll be Monday before I am back in town to send them

Sorry
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is a pic of my old GT:

-

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
90LX
¯
Member # 1487

JEFFS,
you did the same thing and ran it all through the wheelwell? Idosent interfere with the strut?

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
90LX,

No the wiring does not interfere with the struts. I actually did not route any of the wires into the strut tower. I used a 1" hole saw and cut two holes(one on the drivers side next to where the factory wiring harness goes into the fender behind the strut tower and the other in same same spot on the passengers side) and routed the wires inside the fenderwell above where the strut is(where the vacumn modules are).

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i saw this thread and thought hmmmm...bet five bucks jeff s put in a few words on the subject...then i come in here to find pics [Smile] hehehehe

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Let give this a try

Mustang pictures
Brian

[ January 27, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

90LX
¯
Member # 1487

Thanks for the pics Brian

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com