Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Doin Back brakes as we speak, NEED HELP FAST!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Doin Back brakes as we speak, NEED HELP FAST!!!
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All i am doing is replacing the rotors and pads on the back of my 98 GT.. Went to put new pads on, i can get one in, but as i go to place the other pad in, the one i just put in pops back out. It looks like even if i get the new pads in, it wont go on to the rotor... IF ANYONE CAN HELP, lemme know or call my cell phone, please for the love of GOD!!!

707-694-3688....Ryan

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't forget that the piston needs to go back into the caliper. In order to get the pistion back into the caliper you'll need to turn the piston via piston tool (or a good set of needle nose pliers). Turn the piston until it is flush with the caliper and the notches will accept the nibs on the pad.

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just called you .....I hope I could help.. [Big Grin] [patriot] [burnout]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
I just called you .....I hope I could help.. [Big Grin] [patriot] [burnout]

Thanx again man, after im done with my snack, im back out there to hopefully finish this shiot! [worship] [patriot] [worship]

--------------------

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ahh...Twisting in the rear calipers with the cubical shaped tool... [Mad] [Mad] [BS flag] [BS flag]

I bought a cubical tool from Kragen and sawed off two of the tabs on one side in order for the piece of shit to properly fit. I was able to screw in the piston on the right side of the car (extremely difficult...extremely!) but couldn't even get the left side to turn as the tool kept jumping out of the grooves on the piston. So I went over to Pep Boys and they had a similar shaped tool where one side actually fit without modifing it. The Cube is gold in color and made by Lisle...this is the tool to get. It will still be a pain in the ass, but atleast the tool won't jump out of the grooves as much... One of the hardest parts I found was holding the caliper in one hand (taking it off the rotor is *a lot* more work and you simply just can't let it hang) and trying to twist with the ratchet with the other...not that easy... [Mad]

[ January 17, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

I have been turnin this piston for like 10 minutes, why does it look like it isnt moving?!?! [Mad] [Mad] THIS IS PHUCKIN' [BS flag] Never again am i doin the back brakes.....EVER! [Mad]

G-HEY!!!

--------------------

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I have been turnin this piston for like 10 minutes, why does it look like it isnt moving?!?! THIS IS PHUCKIN' Never again am i doin the back brakes.....EVER!

HAHA... [Razz]

How is it turning...hard or easy? It takes awhile (at least mine did because the fucking thing was turning like a snail) but it does become slightly easier... You should be noticing that the piston is sitting further and further back in the rubber groove that is around it... To have enough clearence, the piston's head should be leveled with the rubber around it, or *slightly* a bit outside it...

[ January 17, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

One other thing, Would it be bad just to do one side? I really dont feel like messin with the other side today..... [Mad] [BS flag] [Mad]

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by Rev Happy:
quote:
I have been turnin this piston for like 10 minutes, why does it look like it isnt moving?!?! THIS IS PHUCKIN' Never again am i doin the back brakes.....EVER!

HAHA... [Razz]

How is it turning...hard or easy? It takes awhile (at least mine did because the fucking thing was turning like a snail) but it does become slightly easier... You should be noticing that the piston is sitting further and further back in the rubber groove that is around it...

Well it is moving pretty easy, when i can get a good grip on it with Needle nose pliers! [Eek!] [Mad] Still hate this shit! I figured the front brakes were easy, the back cant be that bad! [BS flag] [BS flag] [BS flag]

--------------------

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't see why not, just don't wait too long on the other side...just do it tomorrow... My car was on jackstands for a couple days in the garage because I was getting so frustrated... [Mad]

--------------------
96 Cobra

dave96gt
Member # 2033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave96gt  Ford pictures for dave96gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Um, you have to turn the bolts counterclockwise for the caliper to retract.
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by dave96gt:
Um, you have to turn the bolts counterclockwise for the caliper to retract.

Im not talkin about the bolts...Im talkin about the piston that needs to be pushed and turned to be put back into the caliper for the new pads to go in correctly!

--------------------

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
$70 mac tool designed for this and i found it easier to take off the rotor and mount the caliper in place to spin it in so your not fighting it. I still want to see someone use the needle noses on a caliper.... [BS flag]

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com