Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Auto has hard time goin into gear when cold!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Auto has hard time goin into gear when cold!!!
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i push the button to engage into Reverse, the button pushes in but wont go into gear right away... but after about 5 minutes of wiggelin back and fourth, it will finally go into gear..WTF, after its warmed up it will go in kinda easier... WTF!?! [Mad]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its just hard to move the shifter then its the shifter cable, if it isn't engaging into any gears then it is low on fluid or has a clogged screen.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Convert to a 5spd

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Once in gear it goes from, 1-2-D-N fine, only hard when trying to get into Reverse from Park while it is cold?

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:
Convert to a 5spd

I hopin with my tax return to do that... [Big Grin]

--------------------

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Convert to a 5spd

brilliant.... [Roll Eyes]

At any rate..when was your last service of the tranny? I would seriously reccomend a new filter and trans fluid. Low fluid can be a cause of these symtoms, but it can be any number of things. First things first...service is #1.

--------------------
Motorcycles and airplanes. Might be time to get back in the Mustang game.

Posts: 4057 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
quote:
Convert to a 5spd

brilliant.... [Roll Eyes]

At any rate..when was your last service of the tranny? I would seriously reccomend a new filter and trans fluid. Low fluid can be a cause of these symtoms, but it can be any number of things. First things first...service is #1.

I was thinkin about that too, i had it serviced about/approx 20k miles ago!

--------------------

01_Blue
¯
Member # 1732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01_Blue  Ford pictures for 01_Blue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#3 88'conv:
If its just hard to move the shifter then its the shifter cable, if it isn't engaging into any gears then it is low on fluid or has a clogged screen.

Yep, if you can push the button but the shifter doesn't move into place, then it's the thin cable located under the shifter console. my ol' 98 had that problem.

--------------------
2001 GT
www.badassmustangs.com

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by 01_Blue:
quote:

Yep, if you can push the button but the shifter doesn't move into place, then it's the thin cable located under the shifter console. my ol' 98 had that problem.
How did you fix exactly? [Confused]

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think it's just mileage, my moms buick does that so you just have to sit there and let the car warm up for a bit and then it shifts fine once the car warms up a bit. If I were you I'm thinking T5 swap. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
01_Blue
¯
Member # 1732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01_Blue  Ford pictures for 01_Blue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

How did you fix exactly? [Confused]
Well I just called my Dad [Big Grin] But if I remember clearly, i believe he fixed it by removing something under the console that the cable was getting caught on. I don't know exactly what he took out, but it might of been the safety that keeps the car from being taken out of park at the wrong time.

--------------------
2001 GT
www.badassmustangs.com

01_Blue
¯
Member # 1732

quote:
Well I just called my Dad [Big Grin] But if I remember clearly, i believe he fixed it by removing something under the console that the cable was getting caught on. I don't know exactly what he took out, but it might of been the safety that keeps the car from being taken out of park at the wrong time.[/QB]

I still don't know why this only occurred in the mornings, but it was ok after that.

--------------------
2001 GT
www.badassmustangs.com

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by PseudoCobra:
i think it's just mileage, my moms buick does that so you just have to sit there and let the car warm up for a bit and then it shifts fine once the car warms up a bit. If I were you I'm thinking T5 swap. [patriot]

Only has 75k miles on it... I hoping to do the swap... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com