Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How do these (old) SMOG numbers look?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How do these (old) SMOG numbers look?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I found my smog papers from last year. What can I do to improve these numbers?

-

I already decided to put on my stock headers and H pipe tomorrow [Frown]

[ January 02, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my humble $0.02

I think 10 BTDC is better than 8 for emissions, and for passing the idle test, bump your idle to 1000 rpms. It really helps. Hopefully you will have no problems at the 2500 rpms test.

NOx is no longer tested.

Your CO %'s says 'lean' all over it.

Your HC #'s are good. much better than I would expect from a 240k miler.

Prepare the anal lube for the first visit to the test only facility if your car doesn't look 100% stock.

[ January 02, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

96Forged281
¯
Member # 2158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96Forged281  Ford pictures for 96Forged281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with a O/R x pipe the smog check i went to didnt wanna mess with lookin under my car since its so low so it didtn have visual but my #s Barley passed nothing to do with the thread just thought id let people know O/R pipes can pass smog

--------------------
96 Stang GT Convertible Looks Stock =)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shade-tree - The 8^ was set with out a timing light... I knew it would be within spec ( I think 7-13^ is "legal", so I didn't worry about it. I ran 89 octane and had my 190^ thermo installed. I plan to run 10^ and 87 octane this time, but I will keep my 180 thermo installed. The 180 thermo along with my aged O2 sensors (I've personally put 100K miles on them, god knows how many the previous owner put on them) should make me run a tad bit richer.

96Forged281- Thanks for the input. Did you have to go to a test-only station? If so... what street was it on? [Smile]

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shade-tree I hate to tell you but Nox is tested as of july 03. The bay area IS going to the dyno test. Thats right HC CO and Nox. If you this bad now wait till the smog refs get the dynos.

[ January 02, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Honestly why do you care if you improve on your smog numbers??...Do you get better insurance rates??j/k..Its pass or fail!!...If you want to improve, Try the old trick getting your "cats" nice and hot.(High RPM's for a while EX:Freeway) [Wink] (Burns the carbon minoxide better)

[ January 02, 2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
Shade-tree I hate to tell you but Nox is tested as of july 03. The bay area IS going to the dyno test. Thats right HC CO and Nox. If you this bad now wait till the smog refs get the dynos.

And is my boss not happy about it !!! Looks like the equipment is going to run him about $50k !!!!
Now I have to go get my damn EB license renewed and changed to an EA license [Roll Eyes]
More school AGAIN [BS flag]

At least my car is registered in Redding now so I won't have to worry about it for awhile [Big Grin]

Sawson, The numbers look VERY good for a high mileage motor. Your stock exhaust should give you about the same numbers this time around (since they haven't been used in 2 years [Wink] )

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the input everyone.

The stock H pipe I have has seen better days I think. I have another H pipe with about the same milage (maybe 160K miles) on it, but it has no heat shields on the front cats. I'm considering trying this H pipe instead since my buddy borrowed the H pipe used in the smog test above with his stock motored 40,000 mile 5.O and didn't pass with too great of numbers either. I'm sure I'll be fine running around for a few days with no heat shields on the front cats.

My goal is to pass with flying colors so I don't have to go to a test-only station next time.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 96Forged281:
with a O/R x pipe the smog check i went to didnt wanna mess with lookin under my car since its so low so it didtn have visual but my #s Barley passed nothing to do with the thread just thought id let people know O/R pipes can pass smog

What shop was this? What street is it on? Its a test-only station right? This Three Amigos smog place I took it to today was a joke. They had some fat guy doing the checkups. I couldn't understand his impersonation of the english language and the price rose $18 from the time I got off the phone with him to the time I showed up.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I passed:

-

Looks like I cut it very close on the hydrocarbons at 15 mph, but the tech should have left it in 2nd gear, not 3rd for that test.

Changes from last time:

timing (its not 12, they didn't measure right)

different H pipe with similar milage

180 thermo instead of 190

electric fan running full blast instead of clutch fan

87 octane instead of 89

EEC codes 94 and 44 claiming that my AIR/smog pump system isn't even functional! [Big Grin]

Notice what it says under inspection reason? "High Emmiter Profile". I'd like to send out a big 'up yours' to the California Air Resources Board [Mad]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pass is a pass [Big Grin] who gives a shit [Razz]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad to see that you passed.

Interesting to see that the first time around they noted that the exhaust system to be single exhaust, the second time it was dual. Does that have any effect on how the HC's are measured, as the maximum number was lowered?

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

shade-tree: A pass ISN'T a pass [Mad] See the "High Emmiter Profile"? I've always passed, but not by much, which is why I always have to go to a test-only station. The jerk-offs that run the SMOG program here are waiting for me to fail [Mad]

rr_mustang: Yes, I noticed that too. They've never tested both pipes before. Infact they weren't going to, but the guy running the test had a 5.O and told his assistant to hook up both because these cars are dual exhaust. As for the tougher hydrocarbon standards, thank our jerk off gonverner Davis and his buddies on the CARB and SMOG board for making standards stringent every year [Mad] [Mad]

96Forged281
¯
Member # 2158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96Forged281  Ford pictures for 96Forged281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it was in ceres on whitmore if you wanna know more about it PM me these people wont do visuals they flat out dont care if you pass you pass thats all they care about it and its a legit station

--------------------
96 Stang GT Convertible Looks Stock =)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Thanks, as you can see from my post above, I already had it smoged. I'm kinda pissed that the smog tech shifted my car into 2nd at 15 mph which droped my RPM's to 1500 and increased my hydrocarbon count. What bullshit if I get tagged to go to a test-only station again next time because of high hydrocarbon readings at 15 mph [Mad] Fuck CARB, SMOG and all the queers in SF who dreamed up of this scam [Mad]

[ January 10, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for XR1stang  Ford pictures for XR1stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you know I wonder what my car would do on the CA smog test. I'm sure they would run me out of the state if they could.

Guess the car is going to stay registered in NC for the forseeable future [Big Grin]

XR1stang

--------------------
I used to hate computers until the server went down on me...

Posts: 342 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com