Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What to do with 1000$ on a 5.0?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What to do with 1000$ on a 5.0?
nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have everything in my sig. I am thinking Weld draglites with skinnies and et streets, then some 3.73's.

Or I am thinking

used intake (edelbrock, systemax), gt40's, and a blower cam. (then get some et streets for my stock turbines.

Anyone have any suggestions on what they would do?>

Scott

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.73's and a bottle
Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heads, cam, intake
3.73s might be too steep for your setup.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
id do the gears/et streets, get the intake and start saving for heads and cams. you could also buy my MSD 6AL with the first two i mentioned.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks alot guys, i am not going to get a bottle with my blower. If I do get heads cam intake then I wont have money for gears.

How does this sound?

gt40's
edelbrock RPM intake
blower cam (maybe custom cam)

with 1000$ I dont think ill have money for the et streets though. gt40=450 intake=350 cam=150
Leaves me with 50$ for et streets.

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep,
I agree. I like the heads cam and intake. Which Gt-40's are you thinking of? Which cam? I heard the TFS stage one is a sweet cam for your combo.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

I am thinking of the gt40 regulars. To save money because I wont be able to get heads cam and intake if I go for some aluminum heads, Id only be able to get the heads. I think ive decided on the heads cam intake option

now one more option:

gt40's, edelbrok rpm, tfs stg1 (or custom)

or

afr165's, and tfs stg1 cam, STOCK intake

Which do you think would make more gains? i am thinking the afrs might make more power without an upgraded intake, than the gt40's would with an intake? Any thoughts?

Scott

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by nitrousracing:
I am thinking of the gt40 regulars. To save money because I wont be able to get heads cam and intake if I go for some aluminum heads, Id only be able to get the heads. I think ive decided on the heads cam intake option

now one more option:

gt40's, edelbrok rpm, tfs stg1 (or custom)

or

afr165's, and tfs stg1 cam, STOCK intake

Which do you think would make more gains? i am thinking the afrs might make more power without an upgraded intake, than the gt40's would with an intake? Any thoughts?

Scott

Why not AFR 185's
I know they are a little big, but I'm sure in the future you will want more power. Theres only like 150 differance between them. All the AFr's I've seen are around 1300 [Eek!]

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally, I'd go with gears/tires first. Assuming you have already had it tuned in. Then I'd add the heads/intake at the same time and save the cam for last. You can make big power with your setup with the stock cam. So I'd change it last. Your gonna need tires though.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree with aaronc, i havent seen a set of afr's go for less than what you say you have to spend. do the gears first and foremost. ive seen stock gt cams hold their own in fast cars with big mods. my vote is 373's and a nitrous kit. [patriot]
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree with aaronc, i havent seen a set of afr's go for less than what you say you have to spend. do the gears first and foremost. ive seen stock gt cams hold their own in fast cars with big mods. my vote is 373's and a nitrous kit. [patriot]
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

sorry for the double post

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where the hell are you gonna get get gt40 heads for 450?? Im sorry but a h/c/i combo for under a grand just sounds impossible too me, but hey if its what you want good luck [Smile] . I would just get gears, e.t. streets, and start saving for some AFR's [patriot]

[ December 02, 2002, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuel system... [patriot]
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
novi 2000 ! [worship]
if i where you, i hold on to that money just in case somthing breaks. [Wink]
a stronger tranny,clutch,drive shaft (better u joints!)gears especally cause stock is weak and might be what you'll need soon...

but if i where to buy some goodies?
i'd go with a rev limiter,3:73's,a true posi,used et streets slicks on stock rims,and a 6 point cage.don't forget a helmet [burnout]
keep in mind i find most of my parts used and for usually a 3rd of the cost new.(ebay and recycler.com)
wish i had a grand to blow...spend it wisely [Wink]

-Street-

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Im talking about used parts for everything, thats how im getting these numbers. I dont buy new usually so I can get a h/c/i combo for about a grand easy.

So its mixed then, I know if i get the heads and intake Im going to be needing traction BADLY. But i will still have all the power i need up top.

Theres afr165's for 900-1000 used I have seen, in good shape.

There are weld draglites (15x3.5 and 15x8 with et streets and skinnies up front) for 600-700 used. Then i could get gears.

I guess its a good dilemna to have to choose. But it sucks i dont want to make the wrong choice. I might hate not having any traction, but then if i get the tires and gears I might not have enough power!

...i guess i need more money.

Scott

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know it sucks holding on to money but i would honestly say HOLD ON TO YOUR MONEY. Dude, Scott, you have like stock everything except that huge fucking hairdryer. You realize that you havent even driven it on a decent tune yet and have barely driven it AT THAT. Once it is all tuned up stuff is going to break off. Oh, call me, cause i might have a deal on some clutches [patriot]
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dude, man, those are still over priced
unless there near new condition.
just last week i found a set of draglites 15x8's
and 15x5's with a good set of et streets on them for $350 on recycler.com
wish i had the cash for that.
today i found a low miles e303 cam for $75 with no blems.(recycler.com)
gears are somewhat expensive but worth the price
$100-120 rangeing for a good used set of 3:73,3:90,4:10 with the bearing already pressed on the pinion gear.
somtimes i'll find a set of 3:55 gears for around
$60..but thats 3:55 [Roll Eyes]
they sell kits for installation for a pretty reasonable price,and i'm sure you'll find someone in here that'll know someone that can install your gears for you cheap. [Smile]

Heads?hmmm, good ol' gt40 irons!

intake? buy a dremel tool and gasket port the stock lower runners,
and get either comp polymer,hartman,or ,cartech upper power box intake.cartech is aluminum i think
costing around 125-250 $

don't forget to read up on where all the weak points are on a 5.0..a vert mind you.
you might decide to invest your money else where on your car.

yeah well its a lil'more than a grand but a nice cost effective combo right?
hope i helped
--street- [burnout]

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

i take that back on the intake,
get the typhoon (edelbrock equalivalent) [Wink]
i forgot you running a kick ass charger

ever think of selling the charger so you can by a bad ass n/a combo
can you say 347 short block [Big Grin]

[ December 02, 2002, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
gears are somewhat expensive but worth the price
$100-120 rangeing for a good used set of 3:73,3:90,4:10 with the bearing already pressed on the pinion gear.
[burnout]

brand new FMS gears are 139.99 [patriot]
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Thank you guys, I will be careful =) I wont be blowing anything up. Separate from this 1000$ i have 300 for a clutch I am thinking about a spec stage 2. I hear the stage 3 is really not that good for street driving.

How much for a clutch chuck? Can you get me a good deal? I should invest in some subframe connectors too dont you think?

Scott

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com