Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Audio help.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Audio help.
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my GT Vert equipped with the Mach system I’m getting this really annoying sound..kind of like a buzzzzz…crshhhhhhh when I have the radio/CD/Cassette. At first I thought that I had blowing out a speaker or something after doing some speaker checking…I found out that I was right..No blown speaker. When I have the car off I hear the radio/cd etc just fine. I only hear the noise while the car is on and or moving. I have had no modifications to the system. It’s still the OEM stuff [Eek!] . Any idea of what this could be? Thanks

[ November 21, 2002, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: AZTECLX ]

--------------------
California Notary Public

If you have/need documents too be notarized..hit me up

Posts: 950 | From: San Jose... | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have an upgraded alternator?

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyways, if so, the increased voltage can seep into the stock wires in the car. If you upgraded to shielded wires im sure you would be fine.

Scott

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Still have the stock one. Think that might have something to do with it?

--------------------
California Notary Public

nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

no i wouldnt think so , unless some wires are wearing the outer protectant off. That would cause buzzing too. or a loose wire on, one of the speakers. Is it coming from more than one speaker?

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend has the same problem. not a stang. but when his car is off it sounds fine, when its running its cracks. his case is a blown out speaker... i guess when the car is on it has more power?
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Aztec, does the noise change in pitch with your RPM's? Does the noise get higher in pitch the faster you go? If so, that sure as hell sounds like alternator whine to me. If that's the case, then you're getting noise into the system somewhere. Check your grounds.
Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by darien87:
Hey Aztec, does the noise change in pitch with your RPM's? Does the noise get higher in pitch the faster you go? If so, that sure as hell sounds like alternator whine to me. If that's the case, then you're getting noise into the system somewhere. Check your grounds.

Yeah the noise gets higher as the RMP’s do go up. Also when I first turn on the radio I get some pretty loud pops. Were would I find the grounds? Think I could just take it to some stereo shop and have them fix it? Thanks for the tips guys. [patriot]

--------------------
California Notary Public

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with stock stereos. That's pretty much the first thing I rip out of a car, lol. But I assume that the Mach 1 system has an amp, if so, check it's ground. Also, check the ground to the head unit itself. Could be that one or more of your grounds has just come a little loose over the years.

But if you don't wanna mess with it, you can take it to just about any stereo shop. Alternator whine is very common. It can be one of the easiest things to fix, or it can be a big pain in the ass. Hopefully, they won't charge you too much labor to track it down.

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Sorry, as for how to check your grounds, check your owners manual, (if you still have it). Hopefully that will tell you where the wires to your stereo and amp are routed. If not, then just pull the head unit out of the dash and check the wiring. Hopefully the wires are marked. If not, just remember that a ground wire is almost always black. Just look for a black wire that is bolted to some metal part of the chassis somewhere.

It should be easier with the amp, since the amp should have a lot less wiring. Again, just look for the black wire that connects to some point on the chassis.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com