Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Power adders that are Cal-smog legal, what are they?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Power adders that are Cal-smog legal, what are they?
Mustangjm
¯
Member # 1954

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustangjm  Ford pictures for Mustangjm    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was checking out the lastest 5.0 Mustang, and it seems that Steeda has developed a 400hrs power street legal stang. Now i am the farthest from a Steeda stang, but there has to be smog legal power adders to my daily driven 99GT. Can some one give some insight into this? Thanks

--------------------
99GT Convertible Red
No MODs (at this time)
Speeder covers

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
superchargers are street legal

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Mustangjm
¯
Member # 1954

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustangjm  Ford pictures for Mustangjm    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown Mystic:
superchargers are street legal

Ok, superchargers. I was under the impression that superchargers wernt good for a daily driver or was it a turbo(?)huh i forget. Dont super chargers cost a few grand though? And dont you have to do alot to the car to put one in?

--------------------
99GT Convertible Red
No MODs (at this time)
Speeder covers

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N20 is street legal.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
N20 is street legal.

[Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes superchargers are a few thousand bucks, if you want a cheap street legal blower, get an electric one for $80

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"yes superchargers are a few thousand bucks, if you want a cheap street legal blower, get an electric one for $80"

Or hook your girlfriend's hairdryer to your intake. That's gotta give you at least 50hp. [burnout]

--------------------
Michael
'02 GT ~ sold for a Big, Slow Dodge Ram
'03 SV650S
'04 R1100S ~ The daily driver

Mustangjm
¯
Member # 1954

quote:
Originally posted by Chiara:
"yes superchargers are a few thousand bucks, if you want a cheap street legal blower, get an electric one for $80"

Or hook your girlfriend's hairdryer to your intake. That's gotta give you at least 50hp. [burnout]

Cute, So NOS and superchargers are legal, but cost alot. Is this it?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in CALI, even your friggin air filter needs a CARB exemption.

so technically, they *can* be street legal, but just have your paperwork and make sure you can pass the sniffer.

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i didnt know N20 is street leagal. they have CARB #'s??

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Technically, anything with a CARB number on it is smog legal in California. However, since a smog shop has the right to refuse to smog your car, make sure you have documenting paperwork from the manufacturer stating that the product is legal for sale on pollution controlled cars in California.
The Vortech superchargers we sell are California smog legal and have the CARB number right on the top of the blower itself.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Mustangjm
¯
Member # 1954

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
in CALI, even your friggin air filter needs a CARB exemption.

so technically, they *can* be street legal, but just have your paperwork and make sure you can pass the sniffer.

So if i understand this right. I cant even have a cold air in duction system on my car? You know what i am talking about, the crome filter system that runs to the fender. That sucks! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
99GT Convertible Red
No MODs (at this time)
Speeder covers

Mustangjm
¯
Member # 1954

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/APEX Motorsports:
Technically, anything with a CARB number on it is smog legal in California. However, since a smog shop has the right to refuse to smog your car, make sure you have documenting paperwork from the manufacturer stating that the product is legal for sale on pollution controlled cars in California.
The Vortech superchargers we sell are California smog legal and have the CARB number right on the top of the blower itself.

You seem to know about this supercharge deal. Are they easy to install and are they direct bolt on? Do I have to make any modifications for the supercharger? Will i have power problems if i dont compinsate it some were else?

--------------------
99GT Convertible Red
No MODs (at this time)
Speeder covers

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your going to want to upgrade your fuel system and suspension with a blower. assuming you get a descent size supercharger. people tend to enjoy there s trims. but it all depends on what your goals are and how big your bank account is [patriot]
fast isnt cheap

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vortech claims that their blowers are designed to run with bothe stock equipment. However they say if you have any other power adders you may need to do some work. If you just plan on the blower according to Vortech you should be fine. Don't take my word for it though. I just read, no experience with a supercharger however hopefully in the near future. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mustangjm,

California's Air Resources Board has an online list of equipment that have been granted EO (Executive Order) numbers that make them smog legal. I believe that according to the law, without a number, a part is not legal. For example, I have a C&L MAF kit with K&N filter. Because no EO has been granted to the kit, its not legal, and I'll switch back to the stock air box & filter when it comes time to smog. Does the MAF make my car dirtier? Doubt it. But rediculous emission standards are politicans' holy grail in this state, and the law is the law. And remember, if you fail the visual inpection, it dosen't matter if you can pass the sniffer. Also, even if you have legal equipment, if you can't prove to the smog inspector that your car is good to go by providing EO numbers, he can fail your car.

If you plan on purchasing new equipment and want to check if its smog legal, check:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/devices.htm

Keep in mind, though, that its a beauraucraticly maintained website, and may not be entirely up to date. Also, you can always call a manufacturer and ask him if his equipment is smog legal. If so, ask him for a sticker displaying his EO number, hang on to it, and at smog time you shouldn't have to worry.

Hope this helps

--------------------
Michael
'02 GT ~ sold for a Big, Slow Dodge Ram
'03 SV650S
'04 R1100S ~ The daily driver

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com