Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Mystery battery dying problem (kills new ones over night)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mystery battery dying problem (kills new ones over night)
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, I have a mystry problem..... Saturday morning I installed new 6 piece headlights (doubt it has anything to do with my problem)... Anyways, after dinner my battery was dead, and no I did not leave my lights on. Sunday morning I installed a new battery, then drove it just fine for about 45 miles. Parked it at at 5PM Sunday night. 7:00 AM the following (Monday) morning, my new battery is dead! Any idea what's going on?
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alternator.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After you installed the headlights, did you drive the car? Have you put a voltmeter and checked the drain on the battery? I am leaning towards a short with the headlight wiring assembly, rather than the alternator.

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can track it down by putting a volt-meter on the battery & remove one fuse at a time watching for the power drop. Even a .1V pull w/the car off will drain the battery in a few days.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
nitrousracing
¯
Member # 1346

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrousracing  Ford pictures for nitrousracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem, and i checked my alternator but it seemed to be fine. then found a wire coming off the alternator to be burnt up somehow. First check the wires coming off the alternator, then if those are good to go check the alternator itself

It may be some sort of coincidence. But during this time, when i was looking for the source of the drain I kept my heater turned to ON and it turned on the next day. Try that one night after charging your battery , and after checking the alternator.

Scott

--------------------
1999 BMW 323is

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's defnatley the alternator, try that first.

--------------------
Support our troops!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
It's defnatley the alternator, try that first.

[patriot]

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think it's called a short [worship]
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My guess is that the six piece light set of purple neon lights you installed on the underside of your car is probably draining the battery pretty severely. It just plain and simply can't handle that kind of [Wink] load.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Always re check the most recent work done when a problem occurs(espically if it happens right after you do the work). As rr mustang said I would look for a short in the headlight wiring, then try the pull the fuse routine that 93 Pony talked about. It COULD be the alternator, but just because that is what caused someone elses similar problem doesnt mean thats your problem. An easy way to tell if it is the alternator itself is to unplug the alternator overnight and see if the battery is drained in the morning. Hope this helps.

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IT IS NOT THE ALTERNATOR!!!!!!!! alternator is only designed to charge the battery when the engine is running!!! IT IS NOT THE ALTERNTOR..... possibly could be a glove box light stuck on, some circuit is using power, check the mirror lights, ashtray light....does it have an alarm??

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Woops.
I ment Amps....not volts.
& to properly test it, you'll have to disconnect the negative & jump it with the multi-meter.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
very common for an alternator (with a @#$load of miles) to develop an internal short.

so yes, it could be the alternator...

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ONELOWSPLITBUMPR:
IT IS NOT THE ALTERNATOR!!!!!!!! alternator is only designed to charge the battery when the engine is running!!! IT IS NOT THE ALTERNTOR..... possibly could be a glove box light stuck on, some circuit is using power, check the mirror lights, ashtray light....does it have an alarm??

[BS flag] [BS flag] [BS flag]

It is a VERY common problem for the diodes in an alternator to go bad and drain a battery overnight !!!! I replace 1-2 alternators EVERY WEEK at work for this EXACT problem

Sawson,
The best way to figure it out is to test alternator diodes, but the "other" way is to disconnect the main feed wire from the alternator and see if the battery goes dead, if it doesn't, you have bad alternator
Good Luck
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im gonna side here with rr. replacing the six front lights, which ive done on all my 5.0's, does not require any wiring or removal of any wiring. all you do is unplug and re-plug. i bet if you had tried to start your at 5:01 pm it would have started. if your alt was shot, you should have noticed a change in reading on your ammeter guage. the alternator does not malfunction when the car is not running or while you are sleeping. it merely charges the battery while the car is running. check for a short...or if something else is draining your battery.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
...the brain...how do you like your afr heads?everyone seems to like them.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm willing to bet its sometihng simple like a hood light or glove box light. I should be feeling better by this weekend and will get to the bottem of the problem. Those of you that know me, know I'm an electrical gremlin's worste nightmare [Big Grin]

As for Brian and the AFR 165's, please allow me to stick some words in his mouth.... he'd like them better if they were AFR 185's [Big Grin]

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

As for Brian and the AFR 165's, please allow me to stick some words in his mouth.... he'd like them better if they were AFR 185's [Big Grin]

What he said !!! LOL

I have had a few minor problems with them, but they were not AFR's fault
I exceeded the maximum recommended lift on the exhaust side w/TFS stage 2 cam and broke a couple valve springs after about 20k miles
Once I upgraded the springs, they have worked flawlessly

Brian

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Alternator.

Short, sweet, to the point and most important of all... correct [burnout]

3.5 amp current draw with the car off

0.5 amp current draw with the car off and the alternator unpluged

3G upgrade here I come. Thank's for the advice everyone [patriot]

[ November 23, 2002, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Glad to hear you got it squared away. Sounded dead on from what you experienced.

The fucked up part was the day after I posted that some prick that has AOL decided to im me with some bull shit screen name and talk shit about diagnosing your problem having never seen the car. Saying that he would bet me 50 to 1 odds that the problem was elsewhere and that I didn't even own a stang. I pretty much blew it off after he/she rambled on for a good 5 minutes. then, after I stopped getting im's I tried to look at the profile and there was none, then I tried emailing the person and it said there was no known member or something. So for some reason someone made up a name and decided to talk some shit for a minute and then delete the screen name.

Whoever that was..... [Roll Eyes] Good job with your own diagnosis. Thanks for the 5 minutes of humor.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com