Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Are GT40Ps smog legal? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are GT40Ps smog legal?
Fox89GT
¯
Member # 1539

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fox89GT  Ford pictures for Fox89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just curious... If I install a set of these, Cobra intake and still keep the stock cam will I pass smog? I'm assuming that since these heads were on the SUVs to begin with that they would be okay. What about the Ford Racing version? Are they the same head? Anyone running these heads passed CA smog testing?
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the should pass smog with no problems

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i sure hope so or me and all the other 93-95 cobra owners are going to have "issues"
lol

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Fox89GT
¯
Member # 1539

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fox89GT  Ford pictures for Fox89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking through the Summit mag, they sell the Ford Racing GT40P head and usually they mention if its 50 state smog legal or not but this ad did not say anything about it so thats my question.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The smog injection ports are not open on those heads. Technically not smog legal unless the heads are drilled out. Once on the car I doubt anyone would know the difference.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
i sure hope so or me and all the other 93-95 cobra owners are going to have "issues"
lol

Actually the cobras and lightnings came with regular GT40's, not the GT40-P's. Do a search for "GT40-P TECH PAGE" for info on the differences.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
lol

Actually the cobras and lightnings came with regular GT40's, not the GT40-P's. Do a search for "GT40-P TECH PAGE" for info on the differences.
GT40-P's are from the explorer's I believe.

[ September 06, 2002, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes,explorers carried gt40p cast heads..
you might be able to find the smog rating
on the explorer then compare it to your stang.
how much did you gain over stock heads?
did you have to use the gt40p headers to?

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
yes,explorers carried gt40p cast heads..
you might be able to find the smog rating
on the explorer then compare it to your stang.
how much did you gain over stock heads?
did you have to use the gt40p headers to?

Any time you use the GT-40P heads you need to get different headers. The Spark Plugs are place differently, you can see about 30-40 HP gains with these heads, and a cobra intake. I actually have that combo being sent to me, it is used, GT-40P Heads, headers, and a cobra Intake, all for the fox bodies. the heads have 1.6 r/r as well. I might sell the whole thing, because I can't use the headers, and intake, so might as well sell it together. Let me know if you are intersted... Anyone.

[ September 06, 2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Fox89GT
¯
Member # 1539

Glenn, got any more info one the set you have coming? Have the heads and/or intake been touched? Why did the original owner sell them? Why are you thinking of selling them? How much are you thinking of asking?
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So if you got gt 40 p heads on a 87-93 stang what kind of headers would you need, what brand, and how much do the headers cost?

I was just looking into these heads not too long ago and maybe get some port work done on them.

--------------------
Support our troops!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just put some afr 165s on the car and leave the GT40ps for the other guys.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The GT-40p's require different headers( MAC and Ford Racing being the only vendors) and they are quite fun(not) to change plugs with the straight plugs. If you're gonna go to all the trouble to change heads, save up some more dough and get some real heads like AFR's, Brodix, etc. The GT-40p's are better than stock, yet I don't think the hassle of switching heads is worth putting on a small head like a GT-40p. By the way, my car had GT-40p heads and passed smog like a champ.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
phildog- what cam and intake did you run with your P heads? Any track times or dyno numbers?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

I forgot to add that many long tube headers like BBK's, Bassani, ect also work with P heads.

Here is all the GT40P tech info you'll ever need:

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/offsite/gt40p.htm

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
just put some afr 165s on the car and leave the GT40ps for the other guys.

Will do Dan

--------------------
Support our troops!

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by Fox89GT:
Glenn, got any more info one the set you have coming? Have the heads and/or intake been touched? Why did the original owner sell them? Why are you thinking of selling them? How much are you thinking of asking?

It was on my bro's car, he is going bigger and better, I too want to go bigger and better, he is supposed to be bringing out the combo in Oct. I want to get atlast $900 for everything. LEt me know.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

JimmysblownFiveO
¯
Member # 1265

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for JimmysblownFiveO  Ford pictures for JimmysblownFiveO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have those heads they suck

--------------------
Kenne Bell Supercharger
GT-40 motor

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran a GT-40p headed long block from Cental Coast Mustangs with a Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 24lbers, stock cam with 1.7 Cobra rockers and other assorted goodies and bolt ons. The car ran 13.7 @ 103 with no traction, spinning 1st and 2nd with a 2.0 60 ft on street tires. I yanked that motor for something which will be a bit wilder...
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
I ran a GT-40p headed long block from Cental Coast Mustangs with a Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 24lbers, stock cam with 1.7 Cobra rockers and other assorted goodies and bolt ons. The car ran 13.7 @ 103 with no traction, spinning 1st and 2nd with a 2.0 60 ft on street tires. I yanked that motor for something which will be a bit wilder...

Doesnt sound like you were spinning them too much with a 2.0 60ft.

--------------------
Support our troops!

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wasn't spinning out of the hole because I was lauching at idle and babying the throttle, doesn't matter anymore, the most of the old suspension, the rearend and the motor are now out of the car, replaced with better equipment, so we'll never know what might have been...but I wouldn't buy those heads again.
93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I pretty sure that cast iron gt40p's went on the 93-95 cobras. And regular 5.0 headers (frombbk,mac,fms whoever) should bolt up but the spark plugs are bitch because of the wierd angle on the gt40ps. I had to buy special plugs from ford for these heads, but yes, ford sells the correct headers for these heads. just go buy a set of aluminum 50 state heads,

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just down at the parts store the other day at Serramonte Ford and the tech guy down there told me if I want to be smog legal to go all GT-40 because they are street legal. I asked him about the P's and he told me anything with the GT40 name on it is street legal. That's supposedly the whole point of the GT40 product line.
Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WRONG!
The GT40P's are not smog legal for 5.0 Mustangs because they do not have the air injection ports that are needed for the smog pump system. Doesn't mean you can't bolt a set on and get away with it. There are smog legal ones available that have been modified. Central Coast Mustang, I think...

GT40X and Y heads are smog legal from FRPP.
JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
according to the latest frpp catalogue, gt40ps are smog legal, and gt40x and y heads are not, just thought you guys would like to know that, straight outta the cataloge

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com