Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Bleeding Brakes 1998 Cobra w/ABS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes 1998 Cobra w/ABS
cobra500
Member # 1349

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for cobra500  Ford pictures for cobra500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm installing a Hurst Roll Lock on my 98 Cobra and my book tells me I cannot bleed
the brakes without an expensive "New Generation Scanner" to open and close the
ABS valves. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you handle it.
Do you know where I can get access to a scanner? Appreciate any help anyone can give.

Posts: 8 | From: Danville, Calif | Registered: May 2002  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 98 also and would like to know before install on some stuff. Bump this topic up^^^^

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I beleive if you installed the items AFTER the ABS valve, you just bleed it like normal. It's only when you open up the system ahead of the ABS valve that you need the tool to get the air through the valve. Also, I've heard it recommended that instead of the tool, you use a deserted stretch of road with a little gravel and just make the ABS system work. Bleed, top off, slam on the brakes in the gravel, repeat.
YMMV, and I've never done either myself. I did stay at a Holiday Inn last week though...

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wouldn't the valve or whatever always be open until activation was needed??? Just a though/question. I'm gonna call aroung and get some tech advice, I HELLA curious now....
Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
cobra500
Member # 1349

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra500  Ford pictures for cobra500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info I had heard that one about the gravel road before, not sure I believe it would work or want to drive my car on a gravel road....As for the Holiday Inn what the big deal, now motel 6...
I'm hoping the I don't need the scanner and will try and bleed the brakes without it. If they won't bleed all the air out I will have to get it to the local ford dealer for them to bleed.
I am installing the roll lock per an article in "Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords" entitled "Controlling Roll" June Issue. In the article they just say bleed the brakes nothing about haveing to use a scanner which comes from my Chiltons book. So maybe its easier than I think. Not usually my luck.
It anyone finds out anything else regarding this I would appreciate the info.
[patriot]

Posts: 8 | From: Danville, Calif | Registered: May 2002  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobra500:
I'm installing a Hurst Roll Lock on my 98 Cobra and my book tells me I cannot bleed
the brakes without an expensive "New Generation Scanner" to open and close the
ABS valves. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you handle it.
Do you know where I can get access to a scanner? Appreciate any help anyone can give.

if you get air in the abs module, you will have to take it to ford to get the air out with their "special machine." its about 60-7 bucks i think. i tried installing a hurst line loc on my 97 cobra but the metric fitting kit would not work. they were made for the 99-up stangs. it ended up being a big mess and lots of money wasted for me. if you can do a double flare prefectly, you're good to go. i couldnt do one to save my life. email me for more info if you want. i learned quite a bit trying to install it. stangin46@aol.com

if you want go to the corral.net and do a search for stangin' and look for posts about 2 months ago. lots of info.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com