Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What size motor????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What size motor????
Jays68yak
¯
Member # 1429

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jays68yak  Ford pictures for Jays68yak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok I picked up a truck today. I dont have much info on it other then it is a 64 cab on a camper frame.... It looks to have a big block ford engine in it. I was just wondering how I would go about finding out what size engine it is. Does anyone know???? Thanks for the help.
Jason

[ August 10, 2002, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Jays68yak ]

--------------------
Power Wheels Big Foot RC car....
68 Pontiac Lemans
94 GMC 4x4 ext pick up <---For Sale
01 Carson Car trailer (It tows the fords)
http://www.geocities.com/jasons68/

StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Measure the area from the crankshaft to the top of the carb. Multiply that by 6.57, then subtract the area around the driveshaft. Plug that into the equation 2x-y= 35 then take the derivative of the sum total. Last, figure out what gears you have and divide that into the total. Simple math.

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
TruBlueGT02
¯
Member # 1205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruBlueGT02  Ford pictures for TruBlueGT02  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hahaha for a minute i thought you were serious. [Eek!] ... calculus..brings back some memories. going into calc 2 this coming semester. i forgot everything from calc 1 also.. anyway. alil off topic..and i know nothing about old truck engines, so my post is useless [Big Grin]

--------------------
[img]http://home.inreach.com/mmckague/trubluegt02.gif[/img]
------------
1-7-01: The best day of my life. Forever.

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jays68yak:
Ok I picked up a truck today. I dont have much info on it other then it is a 64 cab on a camper frame.... It looks to have a big block ford engine in it. I was just wondering how I would go about finding out what size engine it is. Does anyone know???? Thanks for the help.
Jason

Either a 351 or a 460 would be my guess?!?! [patriot]

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Jays68yak
¯
Member # 1429

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jays68yak  Ford pictures for Jays68yak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok I looked at it today, I noticed on the front of the motor these numbers:

Im thinking maybe its a 352....Dunno just a guess...

Jason

--------------------
Power Wheels Big Foot RC car....
68 Pontiac Lemans
94 GMC 4x4 ext pick up <---For Sale
01 Carson Car trailer (It tows the fords)
http://www.geocities.com/jasons68/

saleen00925
¯
Member # 1302

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen00925  Ford pictures for saleen00925  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sucks to have to take math in college.....I will never have to take math for my polysci major! HAHAHA

btw- you could measure the piston from TDC to BDC and then find that volume pi*r^2*h and then times 8(# of cylinders).

[ August 11, 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: saleen00925 ]

--------------------
-Adam Cate
00' Saleen #00-925
3.55 Factory gears, 80mm MAF
13.7 @102mph
2 12" MTX 7000's pushin 1000W
[IMG]http://www.saleen00925.com/images/saleens3small.jpg[/IMG]
Saleen00925.com

Posts: 244 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You said it was a '64 right? If it is the stock motor and its a V-8 it is a 292ci Y-block. THe easiest way to ID these motors is that unlike everother ford motor the distributor is in the back of the motor. Check out www.ford-y-block.com. It is probably a pain to find parts for but I think the 312ci verson came in T-birds at one time, so they were performance motors at some time. If that 352 has anything to do with the displacement it might be a 352ci FE motor, the easy way to ID an FE motor is where the intake manifold and cylinder head meet. If they meet under the valve cover then you have an FE but if the valve cover is more conventional (i.e. only covers the head an the intake manifold is separate) than it probably is the 292ci Y-block. I'd like to hear what you find.

The 351's (clevelands and windsors) and the 385 series motors(429-460) didnt come out until the late 1960's. Hope this helps

[ August 13, 2002, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com