Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Front Strut Tower Bar help/suggestions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Front Strut Tower Bar help/suggestions
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi guys, I have yet another situation.

I took my car into Motorsport Dynamics in Sac today to get my front strut bar, Pro 5.0 shifter, and some other stuff fixed/installed. I figured I might as well have them change out the sparkplugs before I had the bar installed so that it wouldn't be a pain in the ass to change them out next time with the bar in the way. Everything went fine....except:

They weren't able to put on the bar due to the fact that it doesn't have clearance from my Densecharger Intake system. They could get the driver's side fastened fine, but couldn't get the side over the intake put on without crushing (and cracking) the area of the intake near the manifold. They said they would look into calling around and seeing if anyone makes a bar with clearance. Or I could try to manipulate the bar in the area where the intake is located, but that might jack the strut bar up and make it useless.

So basically, I'm stuck with a brand new Steeda front strut bar for my '98 Cobra if I don't manipulate it to fit the intake...any ideas/thoughts? Is there anywhere that you know of that makes front strut bars with high clearance (but not too high to the point where the hood on my cobra wouldn't close-and I don't want to buy a Cobra R hood for more clearance just for a strut bar).

Thanks everyone,

Brad

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

96WhiteSnake
¯
Member # 229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96WhiteSnake  Ford pictures for 96WhiteSnake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i pretty sure there are only 2 options....take off the densechager or sell the strut tower brace. It will fit over the stock intake tube (not sure on 98). Basicallly, i got rid of my strut tower to put in my custom powerpipe, and i still have the stock piece which will give the strut clearance

[ May 30, 2002, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: 96WhiteSnake ]

Posts: 402 | From: San Jo/ SLO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They might be able to heat up a hot rod and heat up the plastic so u could push it down so the pipe will fit.

I know someone who did that with a Pro M intake tube.

--------------------
Support our troops!

blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmm...interesting theory-but what happens if they heat up the rod a little bit too much and melt a hole in the plastic? Then I would be out a intake system. Also, wouldn't that restrict some of the air flow?

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

sic91sleeper
¯
Member # 1029

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for sic91sleeper  Ford pictures for sic91sleeper    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blackcobra98:
Hmmm...interesting theory-but what happens if they heat up the rod a little bit too much and melt a hole in the plastic? Then I would be out a intake system. Also, wouldn't that restrict some of the air flow?

It would restrict airflow almost to nothing and yeah you just ahev to be careful not to heat up the rod too much and burn a hole have a pro do it.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com