Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » blue smoke

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: blue smoke
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what does it mean if every once in a while when i step on the gas hard my car blows out a little blue smoke out the pipes.
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have offroad exhaust?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no i just have a 2.5" cat back exhaust everthing else on the exhaust is stock
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It means you're burning oil. Join the club [Smile]
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This indicates that the fuel mixture is too rich and needs to be fixed. What have you done to your car?
Posts: 77 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Burning oil can also be the case. If your engine is burning oil that, in turn, means your engine has worn valve guides, piston rings An engine that burns a lot of oil (more than a quart in 500 miles) is an engine that needs to be overhauled. Normal oil consumption should be a quart or less in 1500 miles. Most newer engines consume less than half a quart of oil between oil changes (every 3000 miles). So if your engine is burning oil, it's essentially worn out and needs to be repaired.
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

An engine that burns a lot of oil will also eventually foul the spark plugs. Oh and Forget about "miracle" oil additives or pills that claim to stop oil burning. They don't. Better to save your money and put it towards a valve job and new set of rings.
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

how much does a valve job cost
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Depending on what type of heads you have, probably about $200. They will take apart the head, clean it, new valves, might reuse old springs or reccomend new ones; they will just rebuild the whole thing and then put it back together. You can try Powerheads in Southern California, I have used them and they seem to know a lot about whatever head you have.

P.S. www.Powerheads.com

Hope this helps

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

oh ok thanks, maybe ill wait till it get worse and just save my money and get some aluminum heads
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Sounds like a good plan. If you want to know some good heads, I have dyno results on just about every head for the 302 and 351W. ScuSaleen@aol.com

David

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

ok you said the valve job is about 200, i would have the shop remove and install the heads about how much is labor gonna be to install some heads, and if i buy new heads ill just get some trick flow alumminum heads.
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

What car, engine, and mods do you have? Labor is expensive to take off and put heads back on, I am guessing about $1000.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a complete, new explorer longblock is like $1,400.00
all you need to add is your stock intake back to it, and it comes with GT-40P heads and that weaknuts explorer cam. good idea to swap it while it's out. [patriot]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
a complete, new explorer longblock is like $1,400.00
all you need to add is your stock intake back to it, and it comes with GT-40P heads and that weaknuts explorer cam. good idea to swap it while it's out. [patriot]

Timing chain cover, oil pan, water pump, distributor, headers and a few other small things from the stock motor will also be needed.
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

where can i get that motor, all of the explorer crate motors ive seen with gt40 aluminum heads cost $3500. ive never seen any motors for less than 2800 whether its a new ford crate motor or a rebuilt stroker

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com