Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » FMS 70mm TB installed

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: FMS 70mm TB installed
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I installed a FMS 70mm TB tonight. Here are my comments/review on it. Install of the TB is very simple but I ran into problems trying to work around my densecharger none of the damn hoses wanted to come off. After I got it installed, I connected the battery back up and started the car up, give it some gas and it would just hang at the rpm after I took my foot off the gas then it would slowly start dropping down. I was a little freaked out by this but I knew the computer was "relearning" I let it idle for a few and hand reved the car to make sure the TB wasn't sticking and it wasn't. Closed the hood and took the car for a spin. Ouch car did not want to go the torque was gone. But I had read about this and that it takes some miles for the car to start running right. I drove around for a while, stop and go's. Then some long straights jumping on the gas and off. After I was out in the middle of know where I stopped and made a few runs. The car kept getting stronger as I kept doing this. To me it seems the torque is hitting harder and the car is pulling more in the upper RPMs then what it did before I put it on. So far I'm happy with this mod. And the rpms hanging after I give it gas is gone. The only thing I have to do is get some locktight and adjust my idle. It's idling at a little over 1k. Then off to the track to see what it can do.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The intitial RPM hanging is kinda odd. Did you plug in the TPS back? or the air idle controler? Any vacuum leaks? Anyways, if all is well, make sure you come back and post your track results!
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup I plugged everything back in. The hanging of the rpms went away when the car started driving better. I'll post my times when I go to the track.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, I asked because a "stratagy" of the EEC is to slowly let down the RPM's when a sensor has failed which might cause the engine to stall if it drops the RPM's at normal speed. Over time it will learn "around" the failed sensor and drop the RPM's normally again. What you described is how my car acted once when I forgot to plug in the TPS. I really don't see what EEC has to learn from a TB swap though.... most of the "learning" the EEC does is to compensate for bad data from failing/failed sensors, optimizing durring cruise, idle and starting/cranking...... WOT is pretty straigh forward for the EEC.
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I installed the TB I disconnected the battery, maybe that had something to do with the rmps hanging. I'll double check everything in the morning. Thanks for the info.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I installed mine i just swapped it out, didn't disconnect the battery, RPM's still idled up around 1500 then dropped to about 1000, then realized the idle set screw was adjusted wrong. But after the install the car seemed to be lil more responsive. Hopefully it will shave some tenths off your sixty foot times, g'luck. [dance]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

98Stangpower, Thats exactly what my car is doing idles at 1500 and drops to 1000. The sticking of the RPMs is gone. So the screw on the upper left that has the stop plate for the spring is the idle screw correct?

[ April 22, 2002, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: bunchmyfunky ]

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah thats it, sorry it took so long to reply... [Razz]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Thanks, I got the idle adjusted. My power is smoother then what it was before(it pulls more longer). It's definitly a noticable difference and my exhuast tone has changed. I had Bullitt208 drive my car and he notice a difference in it. The TB seems to work well with the mods that I've done.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LEt me know when you want to go!!!! My shit is finnally together again......
Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ike, I'm shooting for Wednesday. I'll call you.
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah let me know i WILL SEE WHAT i CAN DO TO GET OUT OF WORK EARLY!!!!
Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, ever since I installed the MAF my RPMs hang also. It's especially noticable after engaging the clutch and/or revving the engine. It hasn't gone away, but it's a minor nuisance. I guess these cars are really sensitive to intake upgrades [Confused] ...

Have fun with it [patriot] .

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
e-dogg
¯
Member # 678

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for e-dogg  Ford pictures for e-dogg    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
glad you liked it hopefully it was money well spent for you.

--------------------
auto,vrs x-pipe,mac longtubes,flows up next: trying to get rid of everything work 2, 3 jobs to get a ws6 ls1 here i come

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

E-dogg,
quote:
glad you liked it hopefully it was money well spent for you.
Sure was. Thanks

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com