Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » shimming non adjustable ford rocker arms

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: shimming non adjustable ford rocker arms
Russell
Member # 1049

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russell  Ford pictures for Russell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does anyone have a good way to properly shim non adjustable ford rockers? I've torn the motor apart twice, set lifter preload between 030 and 045 with dial indicater, and my hyd roller lifters are still noisy. Thanks Russ
Posts: 7 | From: Suisun California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A 'noisy' rocker valvetrain is usually indication that they are 'loose'.

Did you mock up your valvetrain with a solid lifter? In my experience (and I failed to ever get it run perfectly), adjusting pedestal mount rockers is very difficult due to one fact:

The hydraulic lifters 'bleed down' over time and you never get an accurate installed height.

A messy, yet effective solution is to do the best you can (as you've already done), run with a valve cover off (one at a time, to minimize the mess) get some towels handy to catch the oil, wear a little eye protection... and run the car to 'lift' the lifters, see where your preload is at (wiggle the pushrod), and I'm guessing you have a few that are running loose. Try and find 'em.

If things are set right, and then loosen up, look into loctite or some other method of preventing the bolt from backing out.

Lastly, your pushrod length could be off and you are doomed to never get it right. You may want to start over and determine your pushrod length with a solid lifter and return to square one. [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
EASY...1)start of by turning the motor until the cylinder you are working on's exhaust valve completely closes and the pushrod/lifter are fully retracted on the "low" side of the cam.

2)loosen and then tighten (while turning the pushrod in between your fingers)the rocker hold down bolt until the pushrod stops turning. MARK THAT POINT. Then tighten the bolt 3/4-1 full turn!at 18-20lbs of torque that should be exactly .030 .(exactly half of the plunger in the lifter length)shim or shave the rocker mounts as needed to acomplish 3/4-1 full turn at 18-20lbs of torque.
If they are still noisy you might need new lifters.

Are they noisy at idle or at high rpm?
*****Check the clearence of the tip of the rocker and the valvespring retaining cup!*****

I hope that helped you out! [Big Grin]

[ April 11, 2002, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are your rockers used or have you used them for any amount of time?

The pedestals are not always machined square and will load pedestal rockers on the side a bit eating the bearings and making them sound loud.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Russell
Member # 1049

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for Russell  Ford pictures for Russell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My roller rockers are new,(scorpion) I have adjusted the lifters to 30 to 45 with dial indicator.I have an aftermarket crane cam that says to adjust between 20 to 60 I've torn the motor apart twice, double checked my work, and adjusted each lifter with cam lobe pointing down.The lifters are just a little noisy at idle, seem noisy also at high rpm.What gets me is when I check the old motor,(it has never been dismantled) lifter preload is 80 !!! Thanks, Russ
Posts: 7 | From: Suisun California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com