Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Roller Conversion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Roller Conversion
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got a question for you home motor builders. I have a 79 block with a magnum series comp cam in it. Summit says it is a roller cam. I bought the built short block with forged trw pistons for $600 with 0 miles. My question is do I need the spyder plate that holds roller lifters in place like the one that comes with 85-93 roller engines. I would like to use stock 93 cobra lifters because I already have them. In the Ford Motorsport catalog it sells a kit that says roller cam conversion and this plate is included but then it states for roller cam blocks only. What gives? Thanx in advance for the help.

Pete

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the cam is a hyd roller OEM style cam then you will have to do a roller cam conversion on the block which consist of tapping the lifer valley for the retainer that holds the spiders down.

Couple of things tho since I have never done a conversion.

1. I dont know if the early block has tall enough lifter bores to deal with the hyd roller OEM style and the oiling it needs.

2. I think that you may need to use a retrofit cam in the block that has a smaller base circle.

I am not POSITIVE on either of these but do consider them.

Now if it is NOT an OEM style hyd roller cam but it is a hyd roller cam (or solid roller) then you can pretty much just junk the stock spiders retainers and taping the lifter valley as the new rollers will handle this.

Also you may need shorter push rods for either roller lifter application (OEM) or aftermarket.

Another thing to remember is that you will have to have new springs put on the heads to handle the roller cam.......either one OEM or aftermarket to realize the full potential of the roller cam.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took the heads off of a 93 Cobra and they are still fully assembled. Do you think the stock valvesprings will work? I think I am in way over my head!

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The heads will work. They are GT-40 heads you realize?

Just get the specs on the cam.

I change the springs when using ANY cam with over 500 lift or more than 230 degrees of duration at ANY lift on STOCK heads/GT-40 heads.

TFS and such aftermarket heads are a different story.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Thank you for all the help. I greatly appreciate it.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com