Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » hybrid 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: hybrid 5.0
TeriiK
¯
Member # 708

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for TeriiK  Ford pictures for TeriiK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ooook...

i own an F150, 86 XLT lariet shortbed. ive gone through 3 5.0's since i bought it...all from the desert :-D well im rebuilding the entire truck, i just bought an 88' chassis, custom leaf springs, Ford 9 inch w/4:56 gears and a spool, 8 inch skyjacker coils for the front, custom radius arms and I beams...basically, a buncha goodies that are gonna make my truck pretty damn mean...well, im rebuilding the engine i blew up last desert trip, its an 87 GT engine...heres the deal though, at the time of the swap, i was short on cash, and couldnt afford a new mustang wiring harness with ECU, and not ONE yard here in SD had the harness or an ECU...the difference between mustang ECU's and F150 ECUs, between the 86 and 87 years, is one thing, the air sensor...86 is MAP, 87 is MAS. so i mated the 86 F150 intake manifold and air plemon with the 87 GT block...i know i know, its not smart but i didnt have a choice...someone also told me the F150 injectors will deliver more fuel as well...anyway, im now rebuilding the block, and i need to port and polish the heads, hone the cyl's, basically im doing a complete overhaul. i have a couple questions...

1) where is a good website to get the specifications for the 5.0 block, and for porting and polishing the heads?

2) what disadvantages am i having by running the F150 intake manifold and air plemon?

3) can i wire an 87 MAS sensor to the 86 chip?

4) am i insane for trying any of this?

any input would be greatly appreciated...

--------------------
Ford Festiva: Blown 460, 500shot 1860hp@5000rpm, cage, slicks, wheely bar, quad level civic wing, with GT badging..runs 1.85@MACH10....BWAHAHAHAHA

Posts: 32 | From: Southern Cali | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fordmuscle.com has a couple of great articles on poting 5.0 heads.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fletch has some GREAT porting guides on his carbed mustang website (do a search on yahoo etc etc).

Also if you want my opinion here goes.

The mustang injection harness and ecu will out perform the truck crap, period.

With the availability of the mustang intakes/injectors and harness/computers and them being SOOO cheap for stock stuff I say just do a conversion.

You are probably running the motor too lean.

Also a switch to a 190 pump I would advise.

I have all the specs on everything but porting the heads.

Be careful tho a home ported set of heads i.e. no flowbench usually instantly loses VELOCITY which is what you are gonna want to KEEP!!!

Also I have all the stuff for your conversion and will let it go dirt cheap.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

TeriiK
¯
Member # 708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TeriiK  Ford pictures for TeriiK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanx for the info everyone, and i really appreciate the offer of the conversion kit punkIN. the car gods have smiled upon me! i found an 86 lincon town car, engine/tranny/ecu, which to my understanding, is the same setup as a GT? well, hes sellin me the entire CAR for 400 bucks....i couldnt speak the word's SOLD fast enough lol. anyway, im thinkin of slappin the whole thing, fuel system included, into the truck, then take the heads off my blown motor, and milling/port polish them, and build my old block for mass HP down the line. sound good?

--------------------
Ford Festiva: Blown 460, 500shot 1860hp@5000rpm, cage, slicks, wheely bar, quad level civic wing, with GT badging..runs 1.85@MACH10....BWAHAHAHAHA

Posts: 32 | From: Southern Cali | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com