Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Modifications for 98' Cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Modifications for 98' Cobra
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, wassup! This is my first post-I have been kinda hanging back for awhile, checking out the scene. Since there are lots of people with lots of knowledge on this site, I thought it would be good to get an opinon from here, as well. Here it goes:

I have a 98' Cobra convertible-No major mods, except for my 17x9 Cobra R rims, MAC intake, Eibach springs, Autometer Tach w/ light, and some enhancements to the visual area (saleen styling bar, turn-signal mirrors, etc.).

I'm getting ready to dump some funds into it to get my car up to speed, so to speak. I was first planning on going with some headers and exhaust. I was wondering what you guys might recommend as far as brands (MAC, Hooker, etc.) and also what you think the total would be, including installation. I had Motorsport Dynamics put in my Tachometer, and was thinking about going back to them for headers/exhaust.

Also-I was thinking about throwing in some underdrive pulleys. Would it be worth it (I know they aren't that expensive, but would it make my power steering a pain in the @ss?). I'm also planning on adding a short-shifter-any suggestions as to what brand to get would be great.

Any help/comments you guys have would be great! Thanks for all your help!

Brad

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your car will be much faster in the quarter mile with gears and pullies than it will with headers. Pullies are a great "bang for the buck" mod, if not the best bang for the buck mod out there.

As far as MAC goes, they're generally known for a company that provide low quality parts.

blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks bro...any type of pullies/gears I should look for? Cost?

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If i had your car these would be the mods that i would do.

1. Ford Motorsport 4.10 Gears $190
2. Steeda Pulleys $170
3. Pro 5.0 shifter $190ish
4. Super Charge it with a upgraded
fuel managment system

You will then be running low 12's high 11's

--------------------
Support our troops!

Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id definately go with gears FIRST!!some 4.10's or 4.30 is just what the cobra needs. Talk to JUSTIN, he does gear installs for $150 plus parts (gears are usually about $170 plus the $40 for the intallation kit). I think that'll be your biggest bang for the buck. Plus, when you mod it more in the future, the gears will make all that much more improvement.
Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will the pullies cause any difference to the power steering, etc. etc.?

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The pulley kits are three peice kits. That means they come with an alternator, water pump, and crank pulley unless custom. The power steering isnt affected at all.

Just a reminder the amps do drop when you install the pulleys do to the alternator being underdriven.

--------------------
Support our troops!

blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

What can I do to offset the alternator not charging up the battery as much? I have a crazy alarm system that sucks my battery big time while i'm not driving my car.

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

You cant really get around it, but if u dont wanna sacrifice the amps you can just leave the alternator pulley off and leave the stock alternator pulley on w/the steeda water and crank pulley on.

I dont really think your alarm or battery volts will be affected enough to be considered.

I run Underdrives on my pulley and i can still knock my two twelves, w/my head and foglights on w/wipers/and heater. Yours will defnnatley be fine.

Go ahead and but them and install all three of them it will be just fine w/the alarm and all.

--------------------
Support our troops!

blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sweet. Thanks for the help-I think I'll go ahead and do the pullies for sure. Tge Pro-5.0 shifter you are talking about...is that a short-shifter?

--------------------

blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

And those $ amounts you quoted for the gears, shifter, and pulleys....is that including installation? Won't it cost a grip to put the gears in?

--------------------

Evil Mach1
¯
Member # 26

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil Mach1  Ford pictures for Evil Mach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gears usually cost in the $300 dollar range. Call River City Differential in Rancho. Not many people work on the 4.6 Mustansg in Sacramento. I think Sacramento Mustangs does. But those prices are just for parts, not including install. The shifter is easy to do. Only took 15 minutes in my driveway to do mine. Pullies are alittle more specialized, as are gears.

--------------------
2003 Mach 1
Black, 5-speed, silver stripes
*GONE*

USAF bound!!!
EAD: 1 Dec 04

Posts: 845 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all your help!

[worship]

--------------------

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirza  Ford pictures for Mirza    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say u take $800 bucks, dump it into a NX wet kit and u will have 75, 100, or 150 hp depending on how aggressive u are...

But if not,

Gears, nothing under 4.10's
Pullies,
Nitto Radials,
As for exhaust, 4.6l Cobra + BBK Off-road H pipe + 2-chamber flowmaster = great sounding car

but it's all up to you

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

sic91sleeper
¯
Member # 1029

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic91sleeper  Ford pictures for sic91sleeper    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah the Pro 5.0 is a short throw shifter.
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey bro-

I live in roseville, I can't do gears, but I can help with the other stuff for sure. River City differentials did my last car, and it was great and only about $225 if I remember correctly. Also, if you want a shop to charge you out the ass (even though they do good work) JT Performance (behind sacramento mustang) does work on the newer stangs. But if you need help, just let me know.

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Darren99Cobra
¯
Member # 1083

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Darren99Cobra  Ford pictures for Darren99Cobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How was the work that was done at River City? Do they have any experience with late model Cobras? There aren't any good late model mustang shops around here. I have to drive all the way to Sears Point to have work done at Griggs. Does anyone know of any good shops in town?

--------------------
Darren
www.tacos3.com

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JT's behind sac mustang does good work on stangs. they put my tach in and i was very pleased. its a little expensive though

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool guys, thanks for the info. I think what i'll do is order a Pro 5.0 shifter online, along with some Steeda pullies, and have both put on within the next week or so. Then I'll contact river city and see whats up with the gears. Ask for 4.10s, right?

Also-I noticed while looking at the pro-5.0 shifter online that they don't come with a shift boot (for instance, the cobra has a leather boot stock). Is there an option to put one on or does it stay the way it looks, with no boot? Also-can you put any type of aftermarket shifter on the pro 5.0 shifter? I have a MOMO Saleen shifter (I think it's the "Phantom") and I also still have my stock leather cobra knob.

Thanks for your help, guys-this is all very appreciated!

Also-how is it looking at Sac Raceway these days? I went twice last summer, and only got 3 runs in the first time and 4 the second, the place was absolutely PACKED...I would like to see if I can improve my times after my upgrades (I am sure I will). The best I could manage was a 14.3 (I know, it sucks, but I had never done it before and really had no instruction as to what RPMs to launch at, how to stage correctly, etc. ). By the way-what RPM should I be launching at? I was having a hard time keeping the car planted from the start (even though I have the 17x9 Cobra Rs all the way around with 245/45ZR17 XGT Z4 Pilot Michelins wrapping 'em (Expensive tires, but it's cool-I get them wholesale through my cousin in-law who owns a tire shop ).

Thanks again for all your input,

Brad

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: blackcobra98 ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com