Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » AOD tranny power

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: AOD tranny power
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering how much power an AOD tranny can handle, mine has been just rebuilt and the shop says it is better than staock and can handle a little more power then it did from ford. The most rear wheel HP i want is like 270 with no nos or blower. can it handle that.
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
sic91sleeper
¯
Member # 1029

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic91sleeper  Ford pictures for sic91sleeper    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah it will be able to hang, if your sceptcle just throw a torque converter and shift kit in it and u will be just fine.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It mostly depends on how you drive it. Much like T5's. Some people reliably drive T5's well into the 11's, some people break them with low 14/high 13 second cars.

Two good ways to kill an AOD are:

A) Doing the 1-D-1 shuffle to hold 2nd gear.

B) While cruising on the freeway/high speed and flooring the gas forcing the AOD to kick down to 3rd at a high RPM. Having gears out back makes this worse. The 'proper' thing to do is to manually shift the AOD into 3rd, wait for it to engage and then floor the gas.

A tranny cooler is a must regardless.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com