Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Paging Sawson

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Paging Sawson
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sawson,

I'm REALLY thinking of 30 lb injectors and plan to get a dyno tune. How soon, I don't know. I just don't want any driveability problems with them. I know mike camara had to turn his down to 36 psi or it'd puff black smoke out the pipes. My current MAF is a C&L 76 unit. What MAF gives the most accurate readings or can the chip work it out? If I get a new mass air what do you think about those NA power pipes from AFM? Are they a waste or is there a few ponies to be had? I'm also thinkin of getting the 1 3/4 longtubes and clean em up and open the collector and run an X pipe. I just about have everything and it should be up and running within a month. Just need to finish the details. Your input is always appreciated. I want this to be the strongest injected NA 306 in the area.

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: AaronC ]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here's a thought, keep your C&L, but buy a PRO-M from summit or wherever, bring it to the dyno-session. If you're happy with the results, keep it.

it's one of those things (IMHO) that are better verified on a dyno. Different cars respond differently. PRO-M arguably has a superior technology vs. C&L's 'strangled' stock electronics. Either one has been shown to work well.

I talked to Anderson Ford today (they sold me on a performer RPM+TFS headed/with their N-41 cam) and they were recommending 30# FMS 'flow tested' injectors with an 80mm PRO-M for a 300 rwhp NA setup.
I can't imagine the airflow requirements on an AFR 165 NA setup would differ much.

I plan on buying two MAF's and bringing them both to the dyno when it's running. Whichever works better I'm keeping! (keep your receipts, LOL!)

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With a tune you won't have any drivability problems with them.... or 36's or 42's even!

I'm not a big fan of the C&L. Joe has a point, if you get both you can see which one your combo likes better. With a dyno tune there is no need to dyno test the MAFs if you're tuning the EEC. The MAF just controls the air fuel ratio. You can do that with in the EEC itself. For example, if a Pro-M meter was leaner, Mike's car would have ran better with the 30's and no chip.

The 1 3/4" header idea is great.... especially if you're going to spray the motor. X pipe, H pipe, O pipe, Z pipe, I'm still not sold as one being better than the other. As far as the NA power pipes.... what do you have now? They're nice, but if you already have a cold air kit, I doubt you'll gain much.

I think the RWHP champ will come down between you and Joe. Of course Joe will need three of his biggest friends in his car to make the power to weight ratio the same.

As far as I know, 310ish or so RWHP is the max anyone has gotten locally out of a stock bottem end NA 5.O. It was ported windsor jr's (maybe sr's, I forget), RPM intake, and a pretty healthy cam through basicly open exhaust (1 chamber flowmasters) and all the bolt-ons.

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I talked with John (white notchback) tonight in great detail about his combo. With 10 degrees timing he made 336 RWHP with stage 2 TFS heads, #1 cam, and track heat. He just upgraded to 30 lb injectors and the 4" powerpipe with Pro M 83mm unit. He said the driveability etc has been better than with the 24's cranked up. So it looks like the 30's are for sure and I'm thinking of getting the 4" inlet pipe (C&L tube is 3") with 83 MAF. Joe's idea is a really good one too. Also I think I might try the 1 5/8" headers grounded out and opened at the collectors and then try some 1 3/4 down the road. I'm no longer using the stock short block. I'm having it done too. With aluminum flywheel, lighter rotating assembly, 10:1 compression, the same cam, oil pan with crank scraper and baffle, etc. I'm looking for 350 RWHP and HTMtrSprt (Brian) claims it should reach it but we'll see what he has when it's in the car and tuned. The intake has been cleaned up internally and is ultra smooth. It's almost time to see what this guy is made of. I really hope it works out. Byron will do the tuning and of course I'll let you know when I take it down there.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
350 rwhp NA from a 306!
[Worship] [Worship]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
350 RWHP? Boxstock AFR165's? Has brian built a few of these 350't find 'stangs like that in California. 30 lbs injectors are perfect for 350 RWHP all motor. Keep in mind that white coupe Jon's TEA-2 heads are better than AFR185's, even though he's basicly running an E cam with them. I'd like to see his dyno sheet to see what the curve looks like. What happened to the stock bottem idea?rwhp motors with your combo before? I know there is a FTI TW headed 306 making 375+ rwhp all motor, but you don
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

The heads are recieving 2.02 valves and bigger valve springs. That's about it. Brian said he's had a lot of success with his edelbrock heads with 2.02's and some cleanup and said since we're not using stock pistons, a 2.02 valve would be the way to go. He's got a flow bench and will test them before and after. He'll leave the rest alone. I know John's heads flow a lot more but the ports are a lot bigger. Scott mentioned that his torque # was still in the 290's but I'm not sure. That didn't sound right. John said could possibly run next week so I'll ask him about that. I know my cam is a lot more aggressive than his. I like Brians Philosophy of these long runner intakes. He says the intake closing point needs to be delayed to take advantage of the ram effect from the long runners and with a good flowing exhaust you really don't need any exhaust bias. We'll see how effective it is. He brings up his Lincoln a lot with 11:1 a small cam of his own, Edelbrock 6037's with cleanup and 2.02's, standard performer intake and he says it runs solid mid 80's in the 1/8th at 4000 lbs with 2400 stall converter. All I can say is I hope it works out, but I know that 350 mark could be a pipe dream. His original quote was 340 RWHP and 340 RWTQ. There are guys on the corral that make that with FTI stuff. Bottom line is I'm willing to do what it takes to reach my goal. If it eventually takes bigger heads, cam then that's what I'll do. I'll see how this does and go from there. I decided on the shortblock because I didn't want any of the cylinder pressure being blead off because of 156k miles. And with strong light weight internals that are balanced etc, I can still spray it if need be. I'm gonna pull the stocker and set it to the side and use it for a smog motor if need be for me and Mike. It's coming out in one piece and the other is going in, in one piece. We start puttin Mikes together today.

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just an observation:
it amazes me the general disinterest concerning NA 5.0 performance!

guess the power-adder method is more glamorous [Bling Bling]

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Me too!!! Maybe we can start a trend Joe what stage heads did you go with? What are your cam specs? John lays down some real nice times/power with the Anderson stuff and feels with more tuning and the power pipe/83mm mass air, and injector upgrade he can hit 350 RWHP.

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

*secret* stage zero box-stock TFS heads [Worship] . Anderson cam N-41. Anderson wouldn't even tell me the specs of the cam, lol. I think it's similar to my comp cam 274HR, just with a little less lift. that and a performer rpm round it out.

If I get 300 rwhp I'd shit my pants. That's my goal. Then slap on some secrets, and go for 310-315 (like delete PS, electric H20 pump, toss the alternator into a field , etc. )

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So any news? Haven't heard an update in a while. I heard CAMAR90's uncorrected numbers though Lighten that GT up and its heads/intake/cam LS-WHAT time
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

My motor is being sent out today or Friday. We ran into a few snags but I wasn't in a big hurry. I just want it done right.

Camara's numbers were very good but Byron didn't want to mess with the timing. It was only 28 degrees total. He said he heard it detonating at first very slightly. IMO there's no way you're going to hear anything over his exhaust (race magnums). I talked to Brian about it and he said that he should have tried it and if it was detonating it'd show up in the graph and then you would obviously turn it back. Brian thought it should take a little more timing with an intake lobe like that to make good cylinder pressure with only 10.3 compression. He'll have track #'s tomorrow and we'll mess with the timing from there. The A/F ratio was 12.8 and he left it there. Any tips or advice?

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:
My motor is being sent out today or Friday. We ran into a few snags but I wasn't in a big hurry. I just want it done right.

Camara's numbers were very good but Byron didn't want to mess with the timing. It was only 28 degrees total. He said he heard it detonating at first very slightly. IMO there's no way you're going to hear anything over his exhaust (race magnums). I talked to Brian about it and he said that he should have tried it and if it was detonating it'd show up in the graph and then you would obviously turn it back. Brian thought it should take a little more timing with an intake lobe like that to make good cylinder pressure with only 10.3 compression. He'll have track #'s tomorrow and we'll mess with the timing from there. The A/F ratio was 12.8 and he left it there. Any tips or advice?

So what were the corrected numbers? (You can tell me how much more or less than the uncorrected number if you don't want to spill the to all the locals...or I can just ask Byron ) I wouldn't trip over timing, in the RPM band were the motor is going to be durring a pass, the timing "curve" is flat. This means you can just adjust it at the distributor and have the same effect/end result as doing it via the EEC. Brian isn't familiar with the limits of California gas. Maybe Mike wants to try a gallon or two of race gas to get more timing out of it with out pinging. Make sure you post the track results from tormorrow!

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

It made 6 less RWHP and 5 RWTQ less when SAE corrected We'll try the timing at the track and see if anything happens. Mike's gonna make some changes and see if he can pick up some more power. Some notes on the pulls: It peaked at 5600 and 4300 for TQ. From 5200-6300 it made 30-35 more RWHP and when compared to the old setup it made exactly the same below 3800. From 3800 it made more all the way up and started to get some valve float around 6500. I think it should trap pretty well. He shifted the old setup around 5800-6000 and this setup looks like it wants about 6300-6400. Mike's lookin to try out and Anderson powerpipe instead of the MAC cold air. 3.5" inlet vs. 3" with a bigger filter (Byron commented on the filter size). Possibly 1 3/4" headers, and will do a ported performer RPM intake. Any thoughts?

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Well it should pick up good MPH. If he launches on proper tires, he'll never be under 4K RPM the whole run, so all the HP gained after 4K RPM will directly translate into trap speed. I think the headersidea is great! What does he have know? BBK 5/8 LT's? Was it still making good power when valve float started? There may be some more upper RPM HP left if that issue is addressed. Did he get rid of the solid motor mounts? John91Coupe is making twice the HP and still using 'vert mounts [patriot]
Stimson
_
Member # 51

I forgot to add... why go with a ported RPM over the holley???

How does the car idle? What about drivability?

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: st5150 ]

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

yeah it made good power up top at 6500. I'm not positive if it was valve float or not. The guy Joe said it was. I don't know. The line got a little squigly. He has 1 5/8 BBK's with the weld material ground out and the collectors opened to 2.5". He still has the solid mounts. Not sure why either. It shakes the car but he likes em. The cam idles fine at 1000. It's got more thump than the X. It drives great though. Doesn't buck. Only thing is around 2500 at part throttle is has a miss. Byron said it's reversion in the intake giving a mismatched maf signal. The reason for the ported RPM is Brian made a comment a while ago that he thinks the Holley ports are too big for the AFR's. Shortly after Streetpower EFI 331 on the corral switched from the Holley back to his Performer RPM with Ed cam (232/240) and gained 18 RWHP and 27 RWTQ on the intake swap only. We're not sure if it'll help in mike's case just yet but it's worth a shot. No matter what cam he seems to run the Holley wants to peak at 5600. Maybe a Victor jr intake or RPM done right might be able to let it peak a little higher. Overall the car feels awesome. It'll be interesting to see how it does. Raceweight is still 3400-3450 so place your bets [dance]

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Its not just the intake (runner length) and cam that effect what RPM power is made at as I'm sure you know, exhaust plays a factor, even the intake track (MAF, TB, tubing) has a roll in what RPM power is made at. With that said, I think ehxaust and the little stuff probably won't make him peak any more than 200ish RPM higher. Keep in mind that even if it peaks relatively low yet only drops a bit afterwards and keeps on pulling for a lot of RPM, you'll still have a good/ideal power band. A graph like that also can be a sign of a restriction somewhere. I haven't memorized the specs for the RPM intake, but I believe it flows around 245ish cfm per runner. Speaking of the EFI victor... Erik (Racer007) on the Corral is a big 347+EFI victor intake fan... Mike Senroy(sp) formally (or maybe just weekends now?) of Houston Performance and Erik both ran a similar 347 combo, 300ish CFM canfields, EFI victor hogged out to low 300 cfm per runner and a solid roller making well into the 400 RWHP range and running 10's NA.

3450 lbs huh? I'm going to say a 4 MPH increase from his previous best

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

I totally agree. Byron made a point about an inlet restriction because of the early peak and it held it long after. He said he's seen it with supercharged cars where they just reached an early peak but made steady power long after. He said once the restriction was removed the peak got higher and total power was up. Maybe you can ask him sometime and get more clarification. I think the power pipe and headers would be a good place to start. He went with a 75mm TB and 75mm Pro M meter this time. You think a bigger meter is needed? From here on out it's gonna be nickle and dime'n it and nothing is gonna be for sure. Just trial and error. We guessed the same for trap speeds too.

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com