Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what is better carbd or efi (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: what is better carbd or efi
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The carburetor has to proportion the fuel supply by utilizing the flow of air into the engine. It's effectiveness is therefore limited by the cubic inches of the engine.This is a problem not faced by FI units since the computer calculates air fuel ratio. Therefore EFI can effectively use as much CFM as can be applied which is not the case with the carb. The carb, however, produces a cooling effect to the air resulting in a denser mixture which is not the case with port injection. Throttle bodies also produce denser air but have turbulent resrictions to flow due to the position of the injectors. Keep in mind that the minority of FI systems have on the spot programming capability and this is the archilles heel for FI. Chips are a help but to get the maximum from FI the timing and fuel map must be programmable on the spot. My vote is with FI aftermarket units.
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know at least one 454 carburated rat powered model A that has learned due respect for one little FI falcon with a 900 CFM throttle body.

I like the throttle body (I hear the boos already) because of stealth. It looks stock and fits in tight quarters. Best of all, with a few strokes of the keyboard I can dial in any fuel or ignition curve I want.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by talaposa:
The carburetor has to proportion the fuel supply by utilizing the flow of air into the engine. It's effectiveness is therefore limited by the cubic inches of the engine.This is a problem not faced by FI units since the computer calculates air fuel ratio.

Huh? The only advantage in tuning an EFI setup has over a carb is in partial throttle situations where the feedback loop presents real-time air/fuel trim information to the injectors. And of course the engineers seem to be able to push the envelope of boosted EFI motors more easily than the carbed camp, but don't tell that to top fuel (still carbed).

With a typical 4 barrel carb you can get a dead-nuts WOT tune on the secondaries and a decent idle/cruise tune on the primaries.

Don't forget that some manufactures (Dodge included) had carbed motors with O2 sensors, at that point we're really debating not much more than a fuel delivery system.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by talaposa:
The carburetor has to proportion the fuel supply by utilizing the flow of air into the engine. It's effectiveness is therefore limited by the cubic inches of the engine.This is a problem not faced by FI units since the computer calculates air fuel ratio. Therefore EFI can effectively use as much CFM as can be applied which is not the case with the carb. The carb, however, produces a cooling effect to the air resulting in a denser mixture which is not the case with port injection. Throttle bodies also produce denser air but have turbulent resrictions to flow due to the position of the injectors. Keep in mind that the minority of FI systems have on the spot programming capability and this is the archilles heel for FI. Chips are a help but to get the maximum from FI the timing and fuel map must be programmable on the spot. My vote is with FI aftermarket units.

[Confused]
67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
carbed cars have no potential as evident in the pic below:

-

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this single carb setup only made 1275 HP on 91 octane [Confused]

-

[ March 19, 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Chosen1 ]

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen1:
this single carb setup only made 1275 HP on 91 octane [Confused]

-

Hahahahaha, I have a complete "aftermarket fuel injection" system and it is really nice. Once you get all the $$$$$$$$$ in tuning equipment to tune it and you learn what the hell you are doing. If you dont have the time to learn or the money to spend, go carbed its way easier and cheaper. As for the gear debate, my vote is 3.55's, thats what I got and IM sticking with them. [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com