Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car starts and the shuts off. (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Car starts and the shuts off.
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by American Iron Garage:
also keep in mind that the tps was reading low because likely your base idle is too low. anytime you adjust the base idle you should recheck the TPS reading

[worship] thanks

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ 2014-05-08, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the IAC goes bad or is disconnected the engine should not stall. If MIN IDLE adjustment and TPS parameters and adjustments are correct. Running base idle is controlled by the IAC with MIN idle set app 100-150 RPM bellow IAC idle setting so it can make small adjustments to idle speed. And @ TPS voltage from .55-1.12 your TPS voltage was in compliance. People think the TPS has to be @ or near .99 Volts that is not true and trying to get it there is a waste of time. The ECM parameters are set to the voltages i posted by design. Thanks

According to ford the CEL light will illuminate at voltages bellow .55 volts (TPS LOW)and voltages above 1.21 (TPS HIGH) So adjusting the TPS in between those numbers is in speck. Some fords do not even have the ability to be adjusted and are fixed. Some like the TC are slotted for adjustments.. Upon vehicle start up, the computer will take the base idle voltage, and apply 2.71v to that number as the trigger point for WOT operations. So with this i always set to the lower number around .60 Volts to get the WOT parameters to come in sooner.So setting the TPS Voltage higher is basically defeating WOT parameters by delaying them further, i do not know where the .99 Voltage came from but it is interesting how it will delay WOT events by delaying them by throttle valve angles and by quite a bit. This in turn would be counter productive to have you TPS voltage set at the upper limit which delays that the information to the ECM to command WOT parameters. Hope this explains it. Thanks Tom

Note The TPS should be tested and set with a scope and not a meter. I know most people do not have a cylinder scope but a noisy TPS can really play havoc on the ECM.At Min a digital meter like a FLUKE should be used as it is good at indicating noise. Just a talking point

[ 2014-05-08, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com