Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Supercharger Vs. Timing (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Supercharger Vs. Timing
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOT after installing a supercharger without a wideband? [Confused]

Crazy CAFORDS members man, lol.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
WOT after installing a supercharger without a wideband? [Confused]

Crazy CAFORDS members man, lol.

This is my 2nd paxton sn supercharged 5.0 no wideband on either of them. I plan on getting one for sure, but getting one for this engine is not a priority. If I break it then it will just make me complete the new engine that is being built already. I just wanted to have fun with the stock engine for awhile until my new engine is done. I honestly thought it would have blown up in the first couple days after installing the supercharger, but as always the 5.0 engine rises to the occasion.
From my experience you have to be doing some really crazy stuff to blow up an engine. My car doesn't see WOT for long periods of time very often since I live less than 1 mile from work and most places I like to go are within a couple miles. Also the cast majority of the time I'm just cruising right around the speed limit since I have gotten used to having a clean driving record and not getting pulled over.

I think I'm going to buy a new TPS tomorrow because I've started getting jumping and high idle problems recently. Plus the tps on the car now is pretty beat up looking, so I want to replace it for the new engine anyway. I've suspected it for awhile now and it seems whenever I check it it's at a different voltage than I set it at no matter how much I tighten the screws for it.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I stopped reading half way through.

A wideband is a cheap tool that tells you exactly what the A/F looks like.

I refused to accept any arguments justifying not using one when installing a power adder or getting a new tune.

Case and point... The first mail order tune I ever received showed a 14.2:1 A/F at WOT due to my CAI (it was supposed to be conservative). I would have never known if I didn't throw that wideband on it (until it blew up lol)...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I refused to accept any arguments justifying not using one when installing a power adder or getting a new tune.

Case and point... The first mail order tune I ever received showed a 14.2:1 A/F at WOT due to my CAI (it was supposed to be conservative). I would have never known if I didn't throw that wideband on it (until it blew up lol)...

Wideband is a necessity along with boost and fuel gauges but I just cant believe you went with a mail order tune luke......data log it and send it back or just one tune???

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I'm not trying to justify not using a wideband. I have one on my other car and know first hand how valuable they are. I was actually thinking about just swapping it over to the stang for now since my other car is already dialed in. There are many things that I am in need of at the moment adding up to a few thousand $$$, so I've been picking up things as they have presented themself... meaning when I find really good deals on stuff I snag it

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:

Wideband is a necessity along with boost and fuel gauges but I just cant believe you went with a mail order tune luke......data log it and send it back or just one tune???
I have a boost gauge in cab already on a pillar pod. Today I replaced my TPS and cleaned my MAF sensor and just did the base idle reset procedure. Drove around a couple miles and it runs a hell of a lot better and no audible detonation. No CEL's either so far. Got it from O'Reilly lifetime warranty!

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Yesterday just for the heck of it I drove over to a local 76 that has 100 octane on pump. I put in 2.5 gallons to fill my tank up and also one bottle of NOS Octane Booster(they claim 60 points of octane which is 6 full points, so supposedly take up to 16 gallons of 91 and turn it into 97 octane) I'm realistically guessing I'm somewhere in the 94-95 octane range. All audible detonation nearly instantly went away. I turned my timing back up to 10* advanced and still no audible detonation. Looks like until I can pick up a wideband I will be mixing up some higher octane fuel to get me by. Also the seat of the pants dyno is very happy! Pulls much harder now.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com