Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » AFR 185 vs. Edelbrock? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: AFR 185 vs. Edelbrock?
SWITCH 625.0
¯
Member # 9322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWITCH 625.0  Ford pictures for SWITCH 625.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Dustin, Thought i would chime in. The Eddy's are a great out of the box head with top shelf Quality Control. They use good components, they bolt on, everything lines up and you burn more rubber. Hopefully, you have the newer improved Eddy's made after about 2001 for this comparison. The AFR's are extensively Engineered at all 3 key areas of a cylinder head. Intake Port, Exhaust Port, and Combustion Chamber. Out of the box AFR 185's are Serious Heads and as threethirty1 pointed out, your Lower Intake will port match almost perfectly. Check out Fox Lake's website for a statement about Eddy's relative to performance. Go with the AFR's. Do like i do and be on the lookout for a nice used set.

--------------------
04 TR Cobra
07 Shelby GT/SC 552 HP
89 Gt 331,AFR's,Paxton,TKO,3:73
68 Nova 396, 4 speed, 12 Bolt
65 SPF 427 Cobra Replica

Posts: 165 | From: Yuba City,Ca | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Edelbrocks are great for a bolt on guy who wants a better head. I have spent big bucks porting and improving upon stock-type heads and believe me, it is a dead-end road if you are trying to make big power. My choice on a 347 would be TFS FAC 190 heads and cam them appropriately. Putting in a OTS cam will disappoint. The cam is what controls everything in that motor; a correctly ground cam for your combo is gonna make it run. You've got a sweet coupe, spend the extra cash and get a custom cam for it.
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dustin,

You might as well save up for the AFR 185s. If your like me you will be thinking a few months down the line...Man I should have went with AFR's.

Cry once and get the AFR's. Cry twice going with Edelbrocks and then going with AFRs.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damnit, I knew everyone was gonna say AFR's. I knew they were better heads, but it would be better for my pocket to not spend more money on heads when I will already be spending a bunch on the shortblock. When the time comes for me to build this motor, I will weight out my options at that time.

So with slightly ported Edelbrock heads, 10.5:1 comp 347, RPM II manifold port matched, custom High tech cam (don't know much about cams, but whatever their nastiest streetable cam would be), & 1 3/4 LT's, what type of power estimate would I be looking at?

Thanks for all the info guys...

BTW, STANGSALLY, your PM box is full...

[ January 20, 2010, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Similar setup I made 360/380. But you could prob all but kiss the 400/400 with the afr 185s and a few other supporting mods. Are you looking to be able to smog this I'm guessing not with 1 3/4 LTs
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sell those & get the AFR's FTW Dustin! I don't know if u can get them eddys to be as good as the 185's & how much it's gonna cost trying to get them there. Maybe if u had the Vic Jr's it would be a different story [Big Grin]

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 707vibrantcobra93:
Similar setup I made 360/380. But you could prob all but kiss the 400/400 with the afr 185s and a few other supporting mods. Are you looking to be able to smog this I'm guessing not with 1 3/4 LTs

Not bad. I am looking to be in the 400-ish range, so the AFR's will probably be my best bet. Im not too worried about smog. I plan on building this after summer, because that is when my smog is due...

--------------------

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me know when you want to get rid of the Edelbrocks Dustin.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Let me know when you want to get rid of the Edelbrocks Dustin.

for sure. When i end up doing the 347, Im gonna part out everything but the Manifold.

--------------------

bigjerry
¯
Member # 6033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigjerry  Ford pictures for bigjerry  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You gonna run another stock block or upgrade to a boss or something similar?

--------------------
89 GT vert in progress ....

Posts: 433 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by bigjerry:
You gonna run another stock block or upgrade to a boss or something similar?

Stock... Im not gonna boost the car so Im sure I will be ok...

--------------------

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go bigger than a 185 cc head. Nothing under 200ccs.

Check this guy out.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1193439

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com