Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » spark plug help!! asap!! new question (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: spark plug help!! asap!! new question
CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I spent like a month trying to find out why at idle was fine but when I jumped on it ran like shit. Nobody could tell me why. Every forum web site, but the stock ones were shorter and the, I think 2934 or 29 something autolites were required. Hope you figure it out because I've been there more than once.
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have those but no luck..i have no idea what it is...

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is there any sensor or relay or something that ties into this??

--------------------

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The spark is trying to find the easiest route and that happens to be the head. Maybe take some of the anti seize off or less gap. And are the wires a good brand not the cheap ones. And are they all sparking on the heads or just a couple. This old cat told me to look at nite and out could see which ones and where.

--------------------
No half steppin

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

all 8 are doin it i have them gapped at .045 and the wire are duralast

--------------------

------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
.045 might be too much for your ignition setup. Pull a couple of plugs and reduce the gap to .035 and look for arcing on the reduced gap plugs.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

thats wat i keep hearin..bt i use to hve them gapped at .054 with no problem at all...but i will try that
quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
.045 might be too much for your ignition setup. Pull a couple of plugs and reduce the gap to .035 and look for arcing on the reduced gap plugs.

--------------------

------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89 306:
thats wat i keep hearin..bt i use to hve them gapped at .054 with no problem at all...but i will try that

Maybe the coil is weak. If reducing the gap fixes the problem on the .035 gapped plugs, I would leave the plugs alone for now (with some at .045 and some at .035) and replace the coil.

If the problem goes away on all the plugs, then the coil was weak and not able to jump .045. You can then go back and re-open the .035 gapped plugs to .045 (or larger).

[ September 18, 2009, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would throw some different wires on there and see if that fixes it, one of my boys was having the same problem with new wires and it turns out all it was that the wires were bad. Try some ford racing [patriot]

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

i had the ford racing ones nd i tryd changing the coil and same dam thing. this is getting annoying

--------------------

------------------

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

i changed the gap to .035 and new wires still the same...after i recoverd from the stress i decided to spray paint the paty of the plug that is exposed on two cylinders.. wtf do u knw those are not arcing out any more...wat could this mean... real big ground proble????????? or wat could it be?????¡¡!!!!

--------------------

------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you checked all of yo engine grounds? There is a ground strap at the back of the head. I would check that
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
post a picture of the engine bay, showing the grounds you added, and the spark plug routing.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com