Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cam gurus please help, cam swap on a budget? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: cam gurus please help, cam swap on a budget?
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol/\ yeah what he said.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
Originally posted by F8LSN8K:
quote:
Originally posted by whitelx91:
I would definately go with something other then ford cams simply because there are better out there, but you cant go with much more lift on the stock bottom end. Try this trick folw cam (TFS-51402000) it not only utilizes a little more lift but more duration on the exhaust where ford motors are weak. I had this cam in my 306 and loved it, and you have plenty of spring height to run this cam simply swap it out. I would also suggest running a smaller T/B that 75mm may be hurting your power.

SuistyangS

i talked to Shuan about that cam, and he said it wouldnt do much more better than the Ecam
nothing that works with the valve springs you have now will be very different than an e-cam at all.
What he said.

FYI, if you want a totally bad-ass camshaft that was designed to work with AFR's, longtubes, & an RPM intake.....I've got one at the shop.

Custom HiTech Motorsports camshaft 232/228 110LSA
(Will NOT pass smog & MUST have pistons notched to fit)
You'll most definately need new valvesprings, retainers, seats, & seals. You'll also have to ditch the crappy stock/crane 1.72 rocker arms for some quality pedistal mount units.

First in Camara90's 347 & made 380+RWHP (low 11's on DR's)
Next this cam was in AaronC's stock bottom end AFR165 setup with 1 &3/4 longtubes, Ported RPM intake & threw down 335RWHP with 180K miles on the stock shortblock.
His convertable ran basement 12's on street tires.

The cam is yours for $150.
But plan on spending another $159 on springs, $329 on Titainum retainers, $350 on quality rocker arms (like scorpians), $30 on seats, $25 on seals, $90 on a billet adjustable timing chain, & labor to notch the pistons......plus gaskets that you'll need to put it back together.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4266 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
514 Mullet
¯
Member # 7402

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 514 Mullet  Ford pictures for 514 Mullet    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 514 Mullet:
There is only one correct way to get the right cam. Call professionals instead of asking random people who do not know themselves. As for suggesting an F cam, there is no comparison between these two engines. Matt sprayed that car into the 10's. Totally different animal.

Before you assume ppl dont know nething try opening a book yourself and dont get ahead of yourself. [BS flag] SuistangS
So he should buy a cam based on your advice as opposed to calling people who do this for a living? Unless you grind cams for a living then maybe you need to ease off that statement. Theres a lot more to it than you think. Maybe you should open a book and take a look before you try selecting a cam for someone based on your opinion of cams.

[ October 15, 2008, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: 514 Mullet ]

Posts: 215 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
quote:
I would definately go with something other then ford cams simply because there are better out there, but you cant go with much more lift on the stock bottom end. Try this trick folw cam (TFS-51402000) it not only utilizes a little more lift but more duration on the exhaust where ford motors are weak. I had this cam in my 306 and loved it, and you have plenty of spring height to run this cam simply swap it out. I would also suggest running a smaller T/B that 75mm may be hurting your power.

SuistyangS

i talked to Shuan about that cam, and he said it wouldnt do much more better than the Ecam
nothing that works with the valve springs you have now will be very different than an e-cam at all.
What he said.

FYI, if you want a totally bad-ass camshaft that was designed to work with AFR's, longtubes, & an RPM intake.....I've got one at the shop.

Custom HiTech Motorsports camshaft 232/228 110LSA
(Will NOT pass smog & MUST have pistons notched to fit)
You'll most definately need new valvesprings, retainers, seats, & seals. You'll also have to ditch the crappy stock/crane 1.72 rocker arms for some quality pedistal mount units.

First in Camara90's 347 & made 380+RWHP (low 11's on DR's)
Next this cam was in AaronC's stock bottom end AFR165 setup with 1 &3/4 longtubes, Ported RPM intake & threw down 335RWHP with 180K miles on the stock shortblock.
His convertable ran basement 12's on street tires.

The cam is yours for $150.
But plan on spending another $159 on springs, $329 on Titainum retainers, $350 on quality rocker arms (like scorpians), $30 on seats, $25 on seals, $90 on a billet adjustable timing chain, & labor to notch the pistons......plus gaskets that you'll need to put it back together.

pm sent

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you can afford it thats what I would do. I would not exactly call that budget...but budget buying is not usualy the best route. lol but sometimes it is the only route. That is a proven cam shaft. The only problem I see with that cam is uaualy after the people run that cam they fall off the CAford wagon(never to be heard from again). Kind of like finding the crystal skull,or opening King tuts coffin [Eek!] lol

[ October 15, 2008, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
If you can afford it thats what I would do. I would not exactly call that budget...but budget buying is not usualy the best route. lol but sometimes it is the only route.

ya so far for the budget. gotta keep saving and do it once and do it right like Shuan told me. im tryna take short cuts to get faster but i guess its not gonna work. [Frown]

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The only problem I see with that cam is uaualy after the people run that cam they fall off the CAford wagon(never to be heard from again). Kind of like finding the crystal skull,or opening King tuts coffin [Eek!] lol

That's why I haven't installed the cam in my car. LOL

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4266 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

I don't get it [Confused]

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i heard those anderson cams like the n41 or the 51hr are good cams. there are a few people with those cams and getting some real good numbers.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Camara90 and AaronC were local CAFords (98cobra.com) legends. Both super impressive combos, drag racers. Then one day they fell off the face of the earth. It was a joke about running a cam that was in both their cars saying that you would be the next one to fall of the face of the earth.

[ October 16, 2008, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: FoX GT ]

--------------------
- AED -
03 Cobra 10th anni 3.4 Whipple 9.47@141
2012 Mustang GT 10.98@125
2015 Mustang GT

Bring what you got and hope its enough!

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
Originally posted by FoX GT:
quote:

Camara90 and AaronC were local CAFords (98cobra.com) legends. Both super impressive combos, drag racers. Then one day they fell off the face of the earth. It was a joke about running a cam that was in both their cars saying that you would be the next one to fall of the face of the earth.
OHHH!!! i see..... [Embarrassed]
no way that will happen to me, i'll still be around...and still be slow. [Frown] LOL

so does that cam sound just as badass as the power it should make?

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
If You are only making power to 5,000 rpm then You most likely just need to change the vavle spring's. I was dropping power at 5200 rpm with My afr 185's "weak ass spring's unless You paid for the upgraded" and F cam & when I changed the spring's it rev's clean till 6,500 rpm redline. You should address this problem 1st & also with the rite tool it is possible to do the spring's with the head's on the car.

My 185s do the same thing!..My builder went through my heads and said that the springs they were sufficent. But he was wrong...when i got my car dyno'd you can see it fall off @ around 5400. And you can really feel it while driving.
Did you pick up any power????

Did you gain any tenths??

What springs did you got with?

How can it be done with the heads on??

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thx [patriot]

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by threethirty1:
quote:
If You are only making power to 5,000 rpm then You most likely just need to change the vavle spring's. I was dropping power at 5200 rpm with My afr 185's "weak ass spring's unless You paid for the upgraded" and F cam & when I changed the spring's it rev's clean till 6,500 rpm redline. You should address this problem 1st & also with the rite tool it is possible to do the spring's with the head's on the car.

My 185s do the same thing!..My builder went through my heads and said that the springs they were sufficent. But he was wrong...when i got my car dyno'd you can see it fall off @ around 5400. And you can really feel it while driving.

Post up your dyno graph or take a close look at it and you will see where the valve springs start to take a nose dive.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

quote:
quote:
quote:

no way that will happen to me, i'll still be around...and still be slow. [Frown] LOL

you will be happy with it. [burnout]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

you will be happy with it. [burnout]
that would be nice if it will sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcbOKLEOA6o

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:
quote:

Post up your dyno graph or take a close look at it and you will see where the valve springs start to take a nose dive.
on my dyno sheet power takes a shit at 5,200

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
quote:

ditto

also what retainers, locks, seals? timing chain?

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Willie

Save your pennies buddy...

here is a good read, Jay really knows his stuff.

Myth Topic #26 on SBFTech

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
whitelx91
¯
Member # 8317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx91  Ford pictures for whitelx91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
There is only one correct way to get the right cam. Call professionals instead of asking random people who do not know themselves. As for suggesting an F cam, there is no comparison between these two engines. Matt sprayed that car into the 10's. Totally different animal.

Before you assume ppl dont know nething try opening a book yourself and dont get ahead of yourself. [BS flag] SuistangS
So he should buy a cam based on your advice as opposed to calling people who do this for a living? Unless you grind cams for a living then maybe you need to ease off that statement. Theres a lot more to it than you think. Maybe you should open a book and take a look before you try selecting a cam for someone based on your opinion of cams.
Im not telling him to go with what im telling him or neone else in here YOU assumed no one knew what they were talking about and yes i do know everything involved in selecting a cam that works for a particular engine it was simply my opinion, i didnt say "this is the best cam you should by it fuck everybody else" if you seen that then go buy some glasses nobody on here knows everything and im pretty sure you dont either so dont hop on this motherfucker like you know everybody were all here for the same reasons to get other ppls opinions. And yes calling professionals who do this all day everyday is the best thing to do so why didnt he do it, maybe cause he knows ppl on here who he can relate to a little easier so since you dont know me and i dont know you lets keep assumptions out of our mouths.  -

SuistangS

--------------------
SuistangS

Posts: 380 | From: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
Originally posted by hard jokur:
Willie

says off limits. maybe cuz im new

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hard jokur:
Willie

says off limits. maybe cuz im new

Anyway the older AFRs had the 8020 springs on them and they are know for having issues.

You need to change the springs IMHO.

[ October 17, 2008, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: turbo50 ]

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com