Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » CHEAP Paint (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: CHEAP Paint
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn, where did all this hate come from?

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
Damn, where did all this hate come from?

I personally think it looks really good, especially for the price you paid. I am shocked at how much people are charging to paint cars [Eek!]

I read the article on the "$50 paint job" . Sounds really interesting. I almost wish I had a beater so that I could try it out [Smile]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just that guy hates = lame haha looks good to me but hey my paint body work ended up being 6000 way to go for unknown frames cracked in two!

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
95slow50
¯
Member # 2804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95slow50  Ford pictures for 95slow50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got my car painted at maaco... the actual paintjob was $250 + $250 in dent removal... turned out killer... everyone who sees it is surprised as well. BUT there are some paint chips starting to show... i only wanted it to last me through college and so far its doing the trick.

--------------------
1990 Mustang GT 5-Speed

Posts: 126 | From: El Dorado Hills/San Diego | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just purchased the $50 paint job materials yesterday at Walmart. Will post pics of my progress. Having two kids and next to nil time it may take a while though lol.

I'll be trying it out on the mustang. Top of car is really fading and hood is also fading a lot and wing has just started to fade. Can't make it any worse in my opinion.

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My advice is to thin the paint, don't try to put it on full strength, and try to use thin coats, don't try to get too much paint on there all at once. You will have to do more coats but trust me, you will save a lot of wetsanding time.

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
Just purchased the $50 paint job materials yesterday at Walmart. Will post pics of my progress. Having two kids and next to nil time it may take a while though lol.

I'll be trying it out on the mustang. Top of car is really fading and hood is also fading a lot and wing has just started to fade. Can't make it any worse in my opinion.

Definitely post some pics of the progress! What kind of paint did you buy?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:

Definitely post some pics of the progress! What kind of paint did you buy?
Ditto what kind of paint did you buy? Was it rustoleum in a big paint can, like this? What are you going to use to apply it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Quarts-RustOleum-High-Performance-Enamel-Gloss-Black_W0QQitemZ220134742442QQihZ012QQcategoryZ42927QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[ August 01, 2007, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes I bought a gallon of mineral spirits...and a gallon of gloss black rustoleum. many many foam rollers, foam on a stick thingy's of all different sizes. Lots of tape, a pan, sand paper and a Rock Star. All that shopping made me thirsty. Total cost so far is $55.

I'm planning on making it really thin like you said,...test the waters. I have no problem doing a number of coats. I have no more projects at home [Frown] so guess I'll classify this as one

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have a pic of what kind of foam rollers you should use? Also what the hell are mineral spirits? Was all this bought from wallmart?

--------------------
91 GT

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Non-Low-VOC Mineral spirits you can get from Sherman Williams, that is the only place I've found it. It's called "Paint Thinner" but 100% mineral spirits with all the VOC. NOte, in the original post the Low-VOC spirits make long drying times.

The foam rollers must be the white ones.

You will get lots of bubbles, just knock them down right away, don't let them stay or they'll turn into orange peel and make you sand a lot later. They'll come back when you knock them down but keep going over it again and again.

--------------------

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for all the replys! Jdub, I am REALLY interested in your project, please post pics and progress!

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If this works out I am trying it for sure, I don't know if they have it but this is the color I want Rust-oleum

#7796 or 7723

[ August 01, 2007, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Curt ]

--------------------
'90 GT

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

I'll take photos of my materials when I get home today. The mineral spirit is as mentioned before...paint thinner. Everything was purchased at wallmart lol.

Why only the white rollers??? what about the yellow ones?

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

The white rollers have smaller air pockets so they create smaller bubbles. The yellow ones will make more and larger bubbles which will be very frustrating, trust me. You can get the white ones anywhere, such as any hardware store or paint store.

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
The white rollers have smaller air pockets so they create smaller bubbles. The yellow ones will make more and larger bubbles which will be very frustrating, trust me. You can get the white ones anywhere, such as any hardware store or paint store.

The roller handle came with a yellow one but I bought 6 extras that are white so I'll just toss the yellow one out. Thanks for the heads up.

Walmart doesn't have a large selection of colors but I just wanted gloss black. I had to buy two 1 quart cans and 8 eight ounce cans because they didn't have just a one gallon can. They have semi gloss but fuckit I'll go all out on this paint job lol. I'm most likely going to start on the hood since it is low and easy to work on with out having to mask anything off. If this works I'll repaint the Audi too. [patriot]

look for a seperate thread for updates

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Good luck and keep us posted! Have fun with it, how often do you get a chance to roller paint a car! It's totally fun and the results are surprisingly good if you make sure to wetsand it well. Make sure you stay patient.

--------------------

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

wait...what about the plastic bumpers? don't you have to put some sort of flex stuff in the paint to keep it from cracking?

--------------------
'90 GT

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

I don't have to wet sand right away right I can take my time doing panel by panel then wetsand the whole thing at once correct.
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Im not sure if he did it every 2 coats or only before buffing and polishing

--------------------
'90 GT

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Here are a couple photos of some of the stuff I bought and of the faded spots on the car that are bothering me.

-

-

-

-

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool. [Cool] Hey what are the other little rustoleum cans?

Once I move to my new place I may take up this project. [Cool]

--------------------
91 GT

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

the little cans are the same as the big can. They didn't have anymore big ones so I just bought up all the small ones.
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Are those black foam applicators and roller the same as the high density professional "white" foam applicators mentioned in that article?

You almost fooled me with the last pic. I was like damn this guy works fast. I didn't noticed the fading on the last pic till I looked closer. Do you intend on painting the whole car or just the areas affected?

[ August 02, 2007, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

I have the white ones but not pictured . . . I guess the yellow ones aren't as good. I'm going to try and get the hoods first coat done this weekend.

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com